U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:47 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Suddenly, I had African Bird Pepper in my eye. I started tearing up, and of course, I ran to the bathroom, (I think I was screaming/dying/hating my adventurous spirit by that time.) and splashed water into my eye.... transferring the pepper to my other eye and my nose.

After a few frantic moments of splashing - and accomplishing nothing - I sat down in the bathroom, and let the tears cleanse my face. Once I was able to see, I went into the kitchen, grabbed the bag of African Bird Pepper, and slung it outside our second floor patio. It is probably still somewhere ... lurking.... 'til this day.
I used to grow substantial amounts of Habanero peppers and i learned quickly about handling them, rubbing your eye or going to the bathroom can have painful consequences even hours later if proper procedures arent followed, i use latex gloves whenever i'm dealing with hot pepper processing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 PM
LLN

4,912 posts, read 8,352,677 times
That reminds me, long before I had the Phaal experience in London, I was living with a guy off the ship and his wife in San Diego. Somewhere we bought "world's hottest pepper" plant, and put it in their garden.

After a while a small red pepper developed, at this stage in my life I was chugging jalepenos, and it was not one of them.

Anyway, one afternoon, before they got home, I was bored and decided to pull it off the plant (only one pepper on big plant) and have a bite,

Took it to kitchen, cut a small slice and tasted.

Vetty, vetty, hot.

I knew right then I had to get the pepper off my hands so I headed to the bathroom to wash up.

As I entered I had a thought, "Why wash twice, since I am here, I'll take care of a little business, then wash."

Really, really bad mistake.

When I regained coherence I was in the shower, cold water on max, fully clothed with the ol zipper still open. Screaming in agony.

Of course, about that time my hosts returned home to a fool, howling in the shower.

At some point, we all laughed, and got rid of the pepper without further incident!

As

Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
This isn't the hottest, but if your taste buds are bored this will make your day:

Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 AM

11,403 posts, read 13,950,805 times
Ate fried rice once at this Thai Restaurant in Marina Del Rey, CA. I love to eat spicy food, or so I thought. I ordered it "extra spicy" and the waitress said: "are you sure?" I said: "yes."

When the food came, I ate a few bites and my mouth literally started to wilt. It was that hot.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
I just remembered the hottest thing I ever tried to eat. A lit birthday candle when I was 3 years old. Made quite an impression on me. I still remember it.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
I've gotten Serrano pepper in my eye (chopped without using gloves and rubbed my eye). I had to put soap in my eye to wash out the oil, which was very hard to do because my eye has never been shut so tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
This isn't the hottest, but if your taste buds are bored this will make your day:
Yeah, I used some of that two days ago and licked my fingers, which I immediately regretted.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 PM

13,990 posts, read 10,131,822 times
I used to watch chefs/cooks preparing hot peppers and saying to make sure to not touch your eyes, wash your hands, etc. I would think, Well, let's not get dramatic about it. It can't be that bad. Until the time I got some in my eye. Now it's, chop on the cutting board, then immediately do a 180 to the sink and wash my hands with soap and water.

As far as chipotles, I never really liked the flavor in sauces or whatever. Too smoky. But it's starting to grow on me. I especially like using it in chicken tortilla soup.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
Chipotles are so good with fried eggs and toast.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:09 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Im a wuss. Hottest thing ive ever eaten was one of those Blazin Hot chicken sandwiches from Jack in the Box. Had to throw half of it away.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:39 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
Although Haberneros are the hottest things I ever ate, the spicy things I prefer are much more mild. For daily uses, fresh jalapenos will suffice.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or