U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,409,088 times

Advertisements

I once went to Thailand. I was killing some time - was a layover on my flight back from Japan - and went downtown. I stopped at this restaurant. It looked legit. I ordered the crab fried rice. I asked them to make it spicy. The waiter said, "You want the spicy?" and I said, "Yeah, gimme the spicy." I got a plate with some crabs cut in half, small crabs, like the size of a man's palm, with some vegetable fried rice. It had a red sauce on the crab, with some small, pointy peppers next to the fried rice.

I took a bite of the crab. It was sweet with a mild heat. Took another bite and my body/brain caught up with my taste buds and all I could taste was pain. It was like someone had literally lit a fire in my mouth. What I was eating looked like crab, but it could've been crunchy chicken, pig or tree bark. It was just pure heat that came in crab sized chunks. I pushed it away and killed the sensation with 4 more beers and some fries I ordered with the second beer. The next morning... shall we say, was painful.

I had a similar/funny incidence with African Bird Pepper which I might mention later on the thread. African bird peppers that eat Habenero's for lunch.
Scoville Scale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:17 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Those Thai peppers get me every time. I like heat, but ... not that much, so I push the peppers to the side. One got away from me one day at a Thai restaurant, and I had the same sensation you did. After what seemed like a gallon of water, I could actually speak again.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:04 AM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
Chiltepins ....Those puppies are hot! Sauces made from these little devils will burn your insides out. They grow wild here.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...native_pepper/

It's a Dry Heat: Get to Know Chiltepin and Pequin Hot Peppers | Phoenix New Times

http://www.chiltepin.us/

Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
I can handle peppers up to the Habanero level but its a heat level that you have to acclimatize to, most newbies to peppers cant tolerate that much heat,usually goes something like this=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ip5oGlMfU the pure capsaicin laced hot sauces can be brutal on the uninitiated palate.
Humorous and Funny Hot Sauces

I remember a small Asian restaurant i went to in Montreal, the waitress asked how hot do i like the dish i ordered i said hot,when she brought the dish i could see it was loaded with what looked like birds eyes, i could see the cooks watching from the kitchen to see my reaction, they must have been disappointed as i ate a dozen of them with no outward reaction internally was a different matter as i felt i could have roasted marshmallows by just breathing on them

Old 05-12-2014, 01:51 AM

339 posts, read 290,981 times
No doubt about it and I DID it and won. The "Wall of Flame" Challenge!

OMG.....the #2 that followed is like you described.

My pooper was on FIRE baby!! WHEW!! lol

My nose ran with snot....skin/face and lips felt like fire.

My eyes watered as well, like I had been bawling.

It was all uncontrollable...you basically ate and swallowed law enforcement grade pepper spray.

It's made out of the same pepper

Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 AM

339 posts, read 290,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I can handle peppers up to the Habanero level but its a heat level that you have to acclimatize to, most newbies to peppers cant tolerate that much heat,usually goes something like this=
Why You Should Never Ever Eat a Habanero Pepper - YouTube the pure capsaicin laced hot sauces can be brutal on the uninitiated palate.
Humorous and Funny Hot Sauces

I remember a small Asian restaurant i went to in Montreal, the waitress asked how hot do i like the dish i ordered i said hot,when she brought the dish i could see it was loaded with what looked like birds eyes, i could see the cooks watching from the kitchen to see my reaction, they must have been disappointed as i ate a dozen of them with no outward reaction internally was a different matter as i felt i could have roasted marshmallows by just breathing on them
It wasn't hot enough unless you were/are still drunk and your #2 feels like someone dumped ether on your "exit" and lit it on fire with a match. It was severe pain and hurt like a mofo.

So bad, I could see women crying from the pain......

Man, that was bad!!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
No doubt about it and I DID it and won. The "Wall of Flame" Challenge!

No offence, but those Wall wings at Winds Etc, are habernero wings.

I have had the misfortune of taste testing the bhut jalokia pepper on several occasions, most recently at an international mustard competition that I was judging a few weeks ago. What was unfortunate was that I was NOT warned about the ghost pepper's presence. I ingested about 1/2 tsp of the mustard before it hit ...

Literally, I lost the ability to taste for 30 minutes despite using heavy cream, ice cream and vanilla yogurt in a vain effort to cleanse my palate.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
For me, it was a matter of innocence and quantity. I love spicy foods and enjoy peppers in all of their glory. However, nothing prepared me for my introduction to Wasabi (that is not a pepper). Needless to say, it was at a buffet and I had never had Wasabi before and mistook it for Guacamole. Have you ever taken a full heaping spoonful of Wasabi.

Today, I enjoy both but in a quantity that does not blind me.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM

2,537 posts, read 849,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
For me, it was a matter of innocence and quantity. I love spicy foods and enjoy peppers in all of their glory. However, nothing prepared me for my introduction to Wasabi (that is not a pepper). Needless to say, it was at a buffet and I had never had Wasabi before and mistook it for Guacamole. Have you ever taken a full heaping spoonful of Wasabi.

Hahaha! I'm laughing because I had a wasabi moment, too, but I didn't mistake it for guacamole. DH and I were at dinner with a group of six we didn't know (his work sent him out of the country, I went along) . There was nigiri, maki, sashimi, etc. I had no idea what was in the maki, grabbed one at random, swear to god, the entire roll was filled with wasabi. My everything was on fire, which even my watery eyes couldn't put out. I had to just suck it up, and not make a fuss since we didn't know those people.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM

13,990 posts, read 10,131,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Those Thai peppers get me every time. I like heat, but ... not that much, so I push the peppers to the side. One got away from me one day at a Thai restaurant, and I had the same sensation you did. After what seemed like a gallon of water, I could actually speak again.
Yes, I avoid those in my dish. Sometimes they chop them up, though, and that makes them harder to find. I like food spicy, too, but not so hot that you can't taste anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No offence, but those Wall wings at Winds Etc, are habernero wings.

I have had the misfortune of taste testing the bhut jalokia pepper on several occasions, most recently at an international mustard competition that I was judging a few weeks ago. What was unfortunate was that I was NOT warned about the ghost pepper's presence. I ingested about 1/2 tsp of the mustard before it hit ...

Literally, I lost the ability to taste for 30 minutes despite using heavy cream, ice cream and vanilla yogurt in a vain effort to cleanse my palate.
I was going to suggest that, too; dairy supposedly cools your mouth down better than water or other liquids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post

OMG, LOL! I like it, too. It's more like horseradish, though, right? The saving grace about it is that it dissipates pretty quickly, unlike peppers. Not sure about a heaping spoonful, though, LOL. You must have felt like you were going to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or