U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:54 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,607,969 times

Advertisements

There are too many to name what I would not eat. I will eat chicken, fish, lamb, beef, pork, duck, turkey, goose, venison, rabbit...maybe there are too many to name what I will eat.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 PM

15,533 posts, read 29,261,945 times
Insects, arachnids, amphibians (no frogs' legs) and reptiles are off the list.

Cats, dogs, hampsters, guinea pigs and other "pet" type animals.

Most fish and seafood except the common varieties that you would see in a restaurant or grocery store.

Predators i.e. big cats, bears, birds of prey, sharks etc.

Scavengers such as buzzards, opossums and raccoons.

Skunks.

Monkeys and higher primates (including humans).

Highly intelligent or sentient creatures such as whales, dolphins, elephants and horses. I realize thet pigs are right up there with dolphins, intelligence-wise, but I can't turn down a good a good slab of baby back ribs or pulled pork sandwich.

Mind you, this is on a normal day. If I were starving, all bets are off except the humans, skunks and buzzards.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,211,847 times
Aside from roadkill, dogs, and cats, then my no-eat list is:

Deer
Rabbit
Turtle
Frog
Bison/Buffalo

I will eat pig, chicken, turkey, and bovine (cow, bull, etc).

Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Aside from roadkill, dogs, and cats, then my no-eat list is:

Deer
Rabbit
Turtle
Frog
Bison/Buffalo

I will eat pig, chicken, turkey, and bovine (cow, bull, etc).
Why not Bison since you eat cow? They are so closely related that they cross-breed if given the chance to. It is hard to find full blood bison as most on the Buffalo ranches are a cross with cows.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 14,306,716 times
They are readily available in Maine. It's called "beefalo". It's lean and tasty. Beefalo is more expensive than beef for at least two reasons:

1. Beefalo need very rugged fences. They just want to roam and have no respect for fences whatsoever. Barbe wire and electric fences mean nothing to beefalo. They need RUGGED fences.

2. They need artificial feed. A beefalo needs a lot more acreage than an ordinary cow and they eat a lot all year round.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 14,306,716 times
We used to eat a multi-grain cereal out of Canada called Red River. We ate it cold with milk and cooked like oatmeal. It had the highest incident rate of weevils I ever saw in commercial cereal. Never bothered me to eat Red River.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,211,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Why not Bison since you eat cow? They are so closely related that they cross-breed if given the chance to. It is hard to find full blood bison as most on the Buffalo ranches are a cross with cows.
I wont eat an animal that we've nearly driven to extinction. Its an personal decision rather than one based on cold fact. They may be 99% cow now but i just dont feel right eating them and Im shocked that theyre even slaughtered as food.

If it makes you feel better though i'll stop eating cows.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 PM

10,053 posts, read 7,013,878 times
*PESTS - Cockroaches/insects, worms, spiders, rats and mice (they're a delicacy in some places). I'd die first than to try them. YUCK!

*Oysters and clams. They may be nice to try (I liked them), but I have a fear of food poisoning (vomiting) and I hear that parasites are common in those.

*Cats and dogs. I'm not a big fan of pets, but I wouldn't eat those.

*Frog. I hear that they too have high rate of salmonella. But then again, they're amphibians, so they would.

*Quails. I've always seen them as 'pet-ish' rather than something edible. I've had them as pets so I guess that's why I can't eat them.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:42 PM

2,803 posts, read 2,518,982 times
Porcupine's texture is terrible and painful to eat, your mouth will be sore for weeks as you recover

Penguins came in handy for Antarctic explorer Shackleton's Men while awaiting rescue and I hear---

Penguins is practically chickens - YouTube

Quite a few others already listed skunk, raccoon, possum, et al
Anything with nasty texture is a turnoff - things that have a cartilage like texture I do not care for nor overly slimy or oily. I am willing to try most anything once and tried octopus. I didn't care for it as it was like chewing on rubber bands.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,420,577 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ayH3BtNjNE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or