U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,127,125 times

Advertisements

Wegmans.

By far and away the best Grocery Store in America, top to bottom. Nothing wrong with Whole Foods, Fresh Market or Joes in their niche, but for a 'general' grocery store, nothing beats Wegmans.

Ironically, they are also one of the best places to work in America as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
In my region, I prefer Woodman's, Mariano's, and Hy-Vee.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,383,559 times
The best grocery store in the US is Your Dekalb Farmer's Market in Decatur, GA.
As far as national chains go, newer Whole Foods stores are great, but pricey.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Loblaw's has a huge ethnic foods section, great fresh bread baked on the premises, a decent Kosher deli, but their produce sucks.
Esposito's has terrific produce, a great butcher, but lousy seafood selection.

It all depends on what I'm shopping for.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,564,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Very true. There are stores like Super Target (which I like for the most part but they aren't in my new area) and Super Walmart (which I try to avoid, but do use sometimes)....maybe you could count Costcos.

Ohio had Kroger stores...they were hit or miss, Mejers....and I thought I had heard they went under, but Giant Eagle had some nice stores.

I agree. I will say that NC had some nice stores...Lowe's and Harris Teeter were the main ones and nice ones could be found in even smaller towns. Food Lion (Rancid Kitty) was much more hit or miss...but they were starting to improve because of their bad reputation.

Wisconsin on the other hand...oy vey. The town I am in only has a 'Roundy's'.....which I've learned is actually one of the nicer ones compared to others in the area. I go up to Madion and hit the Hy-Vee's....which I really like a lot. Great meat selection, nice mix of grocery items, great deli and prices seem fair.....but I hate having to drive 30 mintues just to find a decent grocery when I am not living out in the sticks. There is also Woodman's up here.....HUGE stores....in fact I think they are too large so I avoid them.
Avoiding Woodman's is something I do as well. The east Madison one is nasty. And they are HUGE, I was in one once and wanted to buy a cantaloupe. They were in a HUGE box, the sides were higher than my waist, and the level of melons was down to the bottom of the box. And I had on a skirt. Needless to say I went home with no cantaloupe.
AND they don't take credit cards! What retailer doesn't take credit cards anymore??
I LOVE the HyVee on the east side. I haven't been to the one on the west side, but I hear it's even bigger and nicer. I love their gluten free section.
The Roundy's/Pick 'n Saves aren't bad, but I actually like some of the Piggly Wigglys better, depending on the town.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:55 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Publix (no one has better subs or fried chicken)
Trader Joes
Whole Foods
Fresh Market (I actually shop here the most since they are very close to home)

Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 PM

17,160 posts, read 22,175,230 times
my local home town proud IGA i try to support the little guy, and in doing so, it keeps our taxes in check, if the whole town shopped at the larger stores out of town, then the local stores would be closed,,, people moving away, taxes going up..
besides, i despise large parking lots and huge stores..
i like to know who is doing the produce department, or cooking my rotisserie chicken or who owns the store, and who is the butcher

service still means something up this way

Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM

10,400 posts, read 7,478,326 times
Not sure why but I love Kroger. I think they are generous with clearance items. And the gas discount is nice.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:52 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,439,044 times
I've never heard of most of those stores, the answers are pretty regional. In my area King Soopers (Kroger) is the top of the heap, followed by Walmart, Safeway, and Albertson's. My Kings has everything I want, I recognize most of the food (unlike in Trader Joe's and Whole Foods), and, most importantly, it's 10 blocks from my house.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:29 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I've never heard of most of those stores, the answers are pretty regional. In my area King Soopers (Kroger) is the top of the heap, followed by Walmart, Safeway, and Albertson's. My Kings has everything I want, I recognize most of the food (unlike in Trader Joe's and Whole Foods), and, most importantly, it's 10 blocks from my house.
I love shopping in places where I don't recognize the food. It gives me an opportunity to learn and expand my horizons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or