U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,501,110 times

Advertisements

Winndixie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 05:47 PM

11,638 posts, read 17,050,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilder View Post
We've been overseas the last 4 years and when I lived in Boise, ID, from 1997-2002 I loved shopping at the local co-op and Albertson's, both in my neighborhood. Then we lived to the KC area until 2010 and I loved Whole Foods. One thing I love about all three... the lunch food are pretty good and inexpensive. The varieties of healthy and organic goods are great too. I love using happy meat and if not organic, sustainably farmed goods. Those three shops have what I need.

Curious to know what your favorite shops are

Plus, we're visiting family for a month this year, Memphis area, more on the MS side than TN though... and will need food. Maybe I can use this list as reference I have no idea what's good in that area.
Kroger is good. All over in Memphis/Southhaven

Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,517,003 times
i guess those of us out in the boondocks have the pleasure of local grocers and no major chains. somehow it is nice to know that there still are the little Mom and Pop stores that carry local farm goods.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,925,130 times
I live in Tucson, AZ, a city with a surprising amount of competition in food stores considering its size. As a result of this competition, food prices and buying choices are better here than in any of the four other states in which I have lived. For the majors, we have Safeway and Albertson's (I know they now have the same ownership, but at present the stores here remain very different), Fry's (part of the Kroger chain), and Basha's a local chain owned by an Arizona family. Of the national food-plus chains we have both Walmart and Target grocery markets. Smaller stores include Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, Rincon Market, and A.J.'s, a specialty market owned by the Basha family. We also have a plethora of Asian and Mexican food markets (Lee Lee Oriental, Grantstone Asian, El Herradero, Food City, El Super, and Carneceria La Noria). And of course we also have Costco and Sam's Club. Sometimes I think there's a food store for every family in Tucson.

I'm on a tight budget, so I clip coupons, read the ads, and shop at different places for different things/reasons, with best quality for lowest price being my primary driver. I try to favor Basha's to support the local owner, but if he is out-priced by his competition, I only buy certain things there. I get the most "best deals" from Fry's through their frequent-shopper program. They send me coupons computer-coded to items I buy most frequently. $1 off this, $2 off that ... of items I always have on my grocery list ... drives me to that store on a regular basis. I even get coupons for freebies (a free box of cereal, a fee bag of coffee ... love that!) I also like Fry's because their stores are very clean and the produce is excellent, two other features that are important to me. Albertson's is closest to my home and exclusively has several items my family prefers. Plus, I think they generally have the best-quality meat, aside from the specialty stores where I couldn't afford the beautiful items on display.

I don't ever shop at Whole Foods. Aside from the fact I see its products as obscenely overpriced, I object to the politics of its owner, John Mackey. I have problems with most billionaires in general, but to me Mackey is the Koch Brothers of the food business. This article articulates my problems with him better than I could without boring people to death.
Whole Foods CEO John Mackey knows what’s best for you, and fighting climate change ain’t it | Grist

Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,315,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Kroger is good. All over in Memphis/Southhaven
Just be careful if you go to a Memphis Kroger--probably safer in Southhaven!
(My 85 y.o. Mama knocked down & robbed inside Mphs Kroger)

They also have Whole Foods in Memphis. Back in the day, Seessel's was THE place to go, but they were bought out years ago.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,384,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I live in Tucson, AZ,
I don't ever shop at Whole Foods.
Also, aside from the new one on River Road, the Whole Foods stores in Tucson are all old Wild Oats stores and are nowhere near as nice as their "normal" stores.

In Whole Foods defense, it is the only grocery where one can find no-sodium versions of many products like canned beans, pre-made pasta sauces and frozen hashbrowns that are the same price as the sodium heavy versions you find at other stores. If you have to avoid sodium, you usually have to pay 2-3x as much for the no-sodium version, if it exists, or else make all your food from scratch. In addition, their house "365" brand is quite inexpensive, comparably priced to similar products at any grocery.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 PM

31,180 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't ever shop at Whole Foods. Aside from the fact I see its products as obscenely overpriced, I object to the politics of its owner, John Mackey. I have problems with most billionaires in general, but to me Mackey is the Koch Brothers of the food business. This article articulates my problems with him better than I could without boring people to death.
Whole Foods CEO John Mackey knows whatís best for you, and fighting climate change ainít it | Grist
Same here. The engineered hostile takeover of Wild Oats - which I thought was a superior chain - was despicable.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
i guess those of us out in the boondocks have the pleasure of local grocers and no major chains. somehow it is nice to know that there still are the little Mom and Pop stores that carry local farm goods.
Wisconsin has many small-town co-ops as well as the chains. Most specialized on local sourced organics....and while I do try to eat whole foods and not prepacked items...I still can't justify spending 10$ (or more!) a pound for bratwurst - hamburger even higher or 5$ a head of romaine.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,517,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Wisconsin has many small-town co-ops as well as the chains. Most specialized on local sourced organics....and while I do try to eat whole foods and not prepacked items...I still can't justify spending 10$ (or more!) a pound for bratwurst - hamburger even higher or 5$ a head of romaine.
YIKES

It would almost pay for you to drive to Fargo for your Grocery shopping.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,820,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
YIKES

It would almost pay for you to drive to Fargo for your Grocery shopping.
LOL....Chicago is closer.....but Madison has plenty of other options, thankfully. I still haven't found decent bread up here yet....but there are still a few bakeries I want to try yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or