U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,298,929 times

Advertisements

Though the major grocery chains differ in each state I know from shopping at Ralph's and Kroger since they are both owned by Kroger they are very similar.
Also I have found some stores like Whole Foods vary from location to location. Where I lived in CA it was so small compared to other states I have lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 AM

513 posts, read 556,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Wegmans.

By far and away the best Grocery Store in America, top to bottom. Nothing wrong with Whole Foods, Fresh Market or Joes in their niche, but for a 'general' grocery store, nothing beats Wegmans.

Ironically, they are also one of the best places to work in America as well.

I just started shopping there recently and love it. Before it was a treat to go because there was only one in a fifty mile radius. Now we have two within 15 minutes. I've never loved a grocery store like I do Wegmans. Everything is organized and in each section they have their own highly knowledgeable employees. Not to mention everything is fresh and always clean. Never had a single issue there. It can be a bit expensive but well worth it. Plus on weekends every section is giving out samples. There's also always a manager mingling so its easy to ask questions or fix issues (should they arise). I love how they combine ethnic foods, with local farm fresh items, and organic stuff. Plus their seafood is amazing.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,879,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilder View Post
Really? I thought there was just that on... Oh, I think Fairview Ave? I heard Boise's blossomed quite a bit!
WINCOs are all over the Boise metro area. The one on Fairview is still there. That's the one I go to, since I live near the mall. There is also one downtown, one in Meridian and one in Nampa. I'm sure there are others I haven't seen.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Best is a matter of opinion and as mentioned, there are very few national chains, so what one thinks is best, might not even be in another city or state. Plus best means something different to everyone. Are you talking selection, prices, brands carried or what?

We have lived all over the country or all over the south and so/west. I would rate my favorites, depending on what I am shopping for and where we live this way:

large but somewhat local chains: VA: Giant
Large again not national: Texas: Tom Thumb
Florida; Publexs
specialty and not overpriced: Trader Joe's
similar, but not as many specialty items or organic choices: Aldi's
best upscale, if you can afford them: Fresh Market;
small independent grocery store, right here in town: Allen's

I am not a lover of Krogers, never have been.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Large again not national: Texas: Tom Thumb
Tom Thumb is a division of Safeway, Inc.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:32 AM

526 posts, read 704,688 times
WINCO ----

only store in town is the hated Safeway (ran out our independent store)----do get reduced steaks there

Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 AM

835 posts, read 815,516 times
In NYC:
Brooklyn- Foodtown
Harlem- Compare Foods

In VA:
Richmond- Kroger

All great-priced foods with a large selection.

The worst was in Washington Heights- C Town! Ugh, you would buy fruits and veggies and 2 days later they would be inedible. Brown, or not ripe yet. Disgusting. The lettuce would be wilted. I actually bought these frozen crème puffs from them and they were MOLDY! It was for a pot luck too lol whoops sorry everyone!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:17 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I forgot to list Buehler's in NE Ohio. They have consistent quality (a lot like Publix) and the only conveyor system of any grocery store I've been to.
At checkout, your groceries are put into numbered bins and put on a conveyor belt which takes them outside to a drive up pick up area. You sit in your car and they are loaded for you. Carts are not permitted in their parking lots, which cures a lot of problems and expense. You never have to touch your groceries until you get home.
It is such a great system that I wonder why other stores don't do it.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 AM

19,380 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Ingle's, Kroger (including Harris Teeter) and Publix are three great chains focused on quality products and necessities, excellent customer service and the best value overall. They are successful and are growing.

I will also add The Fresh Market as the specialty/gourmet grocer for their fresh foods and meats. Their steaks and seafood are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I forgot to list Buehler's in NE Ohio. They have consistent quality (a lot like Publix) and the only conveyor system of any grocery store I've been to.
At checkout, your groceries are put into numbered bins and put on a conveyor belt which takes them outside to a drive up pick up area. You sit in your car and they are loaded for you. Carts are not permitted in their parking lots, which cures a lot of problems and expense. You never have to touch your groceries until you get home.
This concept is very intriguing.

I would assume no other chains want to invest in the costs of serving their customers better in the way Buehler's does.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I remember a similar set-up at a grocery store from my youth. Unfortunately, the store is no longer in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or