Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like adding non conventional food or relish to a traditional dish
Yes, Love it 15 44.12%
No, Hate it 10 29.41%
Only on rare occasions 6 17.65%
Other 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,021,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I'm a bit of an adventurer in terms of food. Not much for novelty but to see what I can use up before it spoils.

I am not much for following any protocol for what goes with what.

Now to go put some cole slaw on my potato pancakes and a dash of mint jelly on the tapioca pudding.
Try sausage patties on toast with grape jelly on one slice and mustard on the other. Sweet, salty, savory, and tart at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,992,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Try sausage patties on toast with grape jelly on one slice and mustard on the other. Sweet, salty, savory, and tart at the same time.
Have to pass on that sausage is a major no-no for me.

But it does sound good.

I just found a seitan recipe, I think I can make that taste like sausage. soon as I make it I'll give your suggestion a try.

I use Red pepper Jelly and Jalapeno jelly on quite a few thing. I discovered I like Jalapeno jelly on egg plant Parmesan. Also on fried tofu

Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,021,000 times
Quote:

But it does sound good.

I just found a seitan recipe, I think I can make that taste like sausage. soon as I make it I'll give your suggestion a try.

I use Red pepper Jelly and Jalapeno jelly on quite a few thing. I discovered I like Jalapeno jelly on egg plant Parmesan. Also on fried tofu
Dump in on cream cheese and eat it with crackers! Yum, I love both Red Pepper and Jalapeno jelly!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Dump in on cream cheese and eat it with crackers! Yum, I love both Red Pepper and Jalapeno jelly!
Another good suggestion. No rule that says it has to be used on meat.

On the rare occasions I find Halal Hamburger I like on my burgers. but that is about the only time I ever use either on meat. I seldom eat any meat, actually trying to go full vegetarian.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Pepper jelly and cream cheese does make a great spread.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Pepper jelly and cream cheese does make a great spread.
Have to go to Fargo tomorrow. Adding cream cheese to the shopping list. Since we have to go to Fargo we are going to do our months grocery shopping. already have plenty of pepper Jelly on hand, but no cream cheese.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,660,588 times
Well i dont know where youre eating but theres no getting egg or cole slaw on your meals here. Cornbread maybe...

Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM

30,567 posts, read 21,744,161 times
Quote:

But it does sound good.

Well, there is always Turkey Sausage. They even Halal and Kosher Turkey Sausage. I think it taste as good as pork sausage and it's less greasy.

Jalapeno is good on all sorts of things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Well i dont know where youre eating but theres no getting egg or cole slaw on your meals here. Cornbread maybe...
Do they have Jalapeno corn bread?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Well, there is always Turkey Sausage. They even Halal and Kosher Turkey Sausage. I think it taste as good as pork sausage and it's less greasy.

Jalapeno is good on all sorts of things!

Do they have Jalapeno corn bread?
Actually trying to go full vegetarian except for Eid-ul-Adha

Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM

442 posts, read 493,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That sounds really interesting. What kind of bread? I'm thinking French or a sour dough roll

The only thing we had which is popular all over was a grilled cheese sandwich with a little Jalopeno(regional preference) and Tomato soup. Maybe and egg and some Chorizo
I grew up having it on white bread (Wonder, at that!). It's a fave of mine. I ate them for months when pregnant with my youngest...I loved the excuse to buy gallons of deli slaw!!

My aunt makes, hands down, the best cole slaw. But, it has raw eggs in it...which were a no-no when pregnant...so I had to make do with deli...added in extra vinegar, though!

I bet it would be good on just about any bread, though! Rye or Pumpernickle is how I prefer it these days..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink