U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times

Advertisements

Oh, goodie! Yet another chance to bash WalMart. I don't shop there often - only when I know they have what I want at the price I want to pay. The location is traffic-dense and I can grocery shop at several markets closer to home. I shop those markets (two of them directly across the street from one another) and buy the weekly sale items. But for some things, I do have to utilize the Big Bad Box Store.

As for the employees, the ones at the WalMart closest to me are just like employees anywhere. Some aren't happy, but they wouldn't be happy anywhere else. Some are hard-working and others are just looking for a place to hide until their shift is over. Some of them are happy to help, no matter how ridiculous the question. BUT there is no armed guard herding the unwilling onto a bus to take them to the job!

Yes, sometimes the floor is dirty or the merchandise is scattered. I see this mostly when shoppers take their children and leave them to their own devices.

But for all the complaints about WalMart, I still have to cruise the parking lot to find a space, so I guess the only people complaining are on C/D. I've not seen anyone sleeping in their cars, although I believe there is an area of the parking lot where you can park your ArVee when you're traveling. Perhaps some people do sleep there but with the cost of running an ArVee, I doubt very much the sleepers are poor.

Target is a ridiculous store with a ridiculous premise - that they will out-WalMart WalMart. The merchandise is the same as every other store that sells what they sell. I don't care for Target (learned this early on) so I don't go there. But I don't run around looking for reasons to bad-mouth the place. Don't like it? Don't shop there. Done.

OMT: The "people of WalMart" pictures are so over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM

15,595 posts, read 9,664,364 times
If you don't like a particular thread there is a very easy remedy............don't click on it. Otherwise, let people who DO want to talk about something do so.

Don

Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,384,216 times
The Wal-Mart in my hometown is actually pretty good. The grocery area is better than the other local grocery by far.

I have been to tons of poor grocery stores. Most small town groceries are pretty bad. However, the worst ones that stand out in my mind, are the Safeways in the Lake Tahoe or Mammoth Lakes area. They have all the typical crap food but it costs 3-4x as much as usual.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 PM

8,257 posts, read 9,105,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I have a serious problem with how Walmart treats their employees.
I've asked this half a dozen times and nobody can, or will, answer it for me. How DOES Walmart treat their employees? Do you work there? I hear people say this all the time but they never elaborate so I'm really curious.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,912,186 times
Hands down Whole Foods.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have a Walmart Neighborhood Market a block from me but drive further to go to Publix. If I do stop at WM the only things I buy are in cans or cat food, the meat and produce are disgusting. I had to laugh at those commercials where WM "secretly" put steaks in a steak house and the diners were amazed how good they were !

True story: I stopped at the WM on day to get some things and picked up some Johnsonville Brats and headed to the produce aisle. I started smelling something like an unflushed toilet and thought it was something in the produce area, so I moved to the canned food aisle. The smell followed me.

I reached down and picked up the brats and they smelled like death ! My hand smelled from touching them and I headed to the restroom to wash my hands. On the way I passed two managers who were talking and told them the meat in the brat/hot dog area was rotten, the cooler must have gone out. One of them said "I can smell your hands from here !" They thanked me and headed to check it out.

The next day I went back for something else (not meat !) and decided to check the brat cooler. THE SAME MEAT WAS STILL THERE AND STILL STUNK ! I went home and called the Health Department and reported them. I won't even buy anything there any more unless it is in a can or bottle.

The store is also dirty and dark, at night they shut off the lights in the produce aisle and you have to grope your way along. There are also no baskets (they say customers keep stealing them) and the carts all have square wheels. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Don
That sounds about right. A few years ago I bought some chicken from WM and it was chewy, so I ended up tossing it. My local WM is dirty, out of order, things falling off shelves... and the people who shop there look like they're one disaster away from homelessness. Sad, because it wasn't like that 20 years ago.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times
As for regular grocery stores, I've never encountered any that were bad. I never cared much for Stater Brothers because they look like they were built in the 60s and never remodoled since. Maybe that was just the two SBs near my home, but they were like stepping back in time.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,403,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If you don't like a particular thread there is a very easy remedy............don't click on it. Otherwise, let people who DO want to talk about something do so.

Don
Am I to assume that yours is the only viable opinion? I did want to talk about it. So I did. Sorry it doesn't meet your criteria.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 PM

905 posts, read 814,414 times
Sorry, I have to vote Walmart too, even though I don't consider it a real grocery store. I have heard of really nice Walmarts, but the ones in my area (Central NJ) are slums at best. I wouldn't take food from them if they were giving it away.

Also do not like the Whole Foods in my area...snooty people...

Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM

905 posts, read 814,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That sounds about right. A few years ago I bought some chicken from WM and it was chewy, so I ended up tossing it. My local WM is dirty, out of order, things falling off shelves... and the people who shop there look like they're one disaster away from homelessness. Sad, because it wasn't like that 20 years ago.
Yup, that is my local Walmart too in NJ. Why anyone would buy food there is beyond me. Shoprite has the same prices, and their food isn't rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or