U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 PM

5,337 posts, read 7,699,215 times

Advertisements

I don't shop at Walmart or Aldi's. I shop at Target about once a year but never get groceries there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 PM

2,128 posts, read 3,227,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Target is better. Stores are cleaner, employees friendlier and they actually open more registers if the line has more than 3 customers. And plenty of parking spaces without people sleeping in them overnight.
Open registers? Not in the Charlotte NC area. If there are more than three customers in line the service desk people run and hide so they don't have to help out.

Last week at 9:00 on a weeknight, not before a holiday, there were two registers open with a line into the "jewelry" department. I finally got the attention of a red-shirt with a two-way radio and asked him to get on that thing and ask for help.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,276,053 times
Giant:

They employ parolees (I used to live by a pre-release center and rode the bus to school, past giant with these guys, the things these people say on the bus, confirms any stereotype you have about parolees).
The stores feel dated.
Many things are in random locations unlike any other store.
The lines are super long at checkout.

Give me my Harris Teeter any day. I don't care that it costs more, it's worth it.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 AM

513 posts, read 560,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Giant:

They employ parolees (I used to live by a pre-release center and rode the bus to school, past giant with these guys, the things these people say on the bus, confirms any stereotype you have about parolees).
The stores feel dated.
Many things are in random locations unlike any other store.
The lines are super long at checkout.

Give me my Harris Teeter any day. I don't care that it costs more, it's worth it.
I'd rather somewhere hire parolees then nowhere. And it's nice they are working an honest job. Seriously? What would you rather them do? Also its not like its a job where you need an engineering degree or degree at all.

The Giant near me is OK. Is go there to grab something fast but its small and half the size of other stores.

I love Wegmans. They have a section for everything. It's clean, there's usually samples in every section, and everything is fresh. Never had a single complaint.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,583,195 times
Kind of difficult to say. No major chain stores within 40 miles. So for much of the year most of my shopping is at 2 nearby local stores.

I guess the chance for choice of chain stores is when we go to Fargo. Usually go to Sams and Wal-Mart because we know where they are and they are pretty much on the edge of town. I get off the interstate at West Fargo and sneak in the back way from Sheyenne st and 13th Ave. Avoid nearly all traffic. Don't shop much at K-mart because it is a bit out of the way and I do not like driving in the city.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-15-2014, 05:51 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,401,717 times
i live in a city where there are literally thousands of grocery stores to choose from (small local chains, big boys, etc)

too many options

i shop at several places including walmart (which is an all in one store not a dedicated grocery/supermarket) (and yes i know they got lil neighborhood grocery stores, but as a whole walmart is an all in one big box)

the fact that grocery stores for the most part are local this thread was kinda pointless and pretty much meant to bash walmart imo

you can easily not shop there. problem solved

Old 05-15-2014, 06:44 AM

24,004 posts, read 31,258,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There's a thread on the best grocery store, so what's the worst?

For me its Walmart. The food and produce are fine, but everything else is such a hassle, I'll avoid going there at all costs. Bad carts, crowded parking lot, narrow aisles, uncaring employees. We stopped in over the weekend because DH wanted a cheap watch, and all the beta fish in the pet department had been allowed to die.
Agreed. I go there, yep I do. I can buy pretty much everything I need, household-wise, in one trip, for less money, than going elsewhere. But I hate the experience. I try to go late at night when it's not so bad.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 AM

5,501 posts, read 6,176,309 times
Kroger...at least one of the stores by me.

The place is FILTHY, for starters. It hasn't been remodeled in lord only knows how long. Selection is weak. Organization is confusing. Deli is.....well, poor. Did I mention that it is dirty? The people that work there are SO nice, but even they just roll their eyes when you ask them about the filth, the decrepit state of the store, and the check out lines which have been in there for at least a couple of decades. Maybe more!

Wal-Mart? As a matter of principle (they don't seem to have any) I don't shop there. But I can only imagine what they try to get away with under the guise of "low prices".

Last edited by Ted Bear; 05-15-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM

34,841 posts, read 42,987,031 times
This is not a why I hate Walmart thread. It is a What's your worst grocery store thread. Surely, there must be others?

To those who mentioned Target, I can tell you that when I was a Retail Rep I went behind the scenes of both Target and Walmart, among others, and my Targets were meticulously organized and clean, and the employees cared.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,561,801 times
I think what I appreciated most about this thread was that when I read the title I immediately thought, "Walmart. Walmart sucks. There is not place that sucks with quite the suckthitude in which Walmart doth suckith." Then I opened it up and everyone on here had essentially said the same thing.

Walmart sucks. It truly is my least favorite grocery store in the world. I would shop at Smith's (Kroger), Target, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market or any of the other grocery stores in my neighborhood before Walmart.

In my neighborhood, my favorite grocery store is WinCo. Seriously the place is awesome. They pay their employees a reasonable wage, try to entice employees to own shares of the store through a share program, have a bulk food section full of nuts, beans, granola, cereal and spices for dirt cheap and sell most items for far less than Walmart. Hell, they even have floors that aren't concrete and a person who collects shopping carts from the parking lot more than once per week.

So you're probably thinking, "Man, this place sounds great. Everyone must shop here." But no, any given day of the week Walmart probably has 4x more people in it than WinCo.

I don't get it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or