U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 AM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

There's a thread on the best grocery store, so what's the worst?

For me its Walmart. The food and produce are fine, but everything else is such a hassle, I'll avoid going there at all costs. Bad carts, crowded parking lot, narrow aisles, uncaring employees. We stopped in over the weekend because DH wanted a cheap watch, and all the beta fish in the pet department had been allowed to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 AM

861 posts, read 944,800 times
What I hate about Walmart is that checkout lines are long yet they won't open new registers. Instead they announce they would open more self-checkout lanes so customers can experience working for Walmart with no pay.

I think poor people flock there because they can use their EBT cards at self-checkout lanes without being judged. The parking lot is full of junk cars with people sleeping in them cause Walmart allows it hoping they would spend their last dollars on them.

Last thing I want to do is shop there but they got the cheapest motor oil ($25 less), cheap check cashing ($3 compared to $20-$50) and the tastiest fried chicken (better than Target).

Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM

4,824 posts, read 2,348,757 times
i hate walmart.. not to mention some of the people that tend to shop there. The people that work there hate their job and have no will to help....i don't go there unless it is a last resort

Photos - People Of Walmart

Old 05-14-2014, 09:15 AM

10,124 posts, read 16,721,272 times
At my local Walmart neighborhood market, the employees seem happy, the prices are good and the pharmacy department has been so helpful to me I won't go anywhere else for my prescriptions.

The nearest Super Walmart is the opposite. Very unpleasant shopping experience.

I don't understand why people think Target is more upscale than Walmart. It's just a more expensive, red-colored version of the same place. I've had rotten food from there and a completely apathetic manager reaction to it when I reported it. The prices are barely better than the grocery store, if better at all, on most of the things I buy. I'll probably go to Target 3-4 times per year, but definitely not for groceries.

My other least favorite local is Fiesta - they'll have an incredible deal on tomatoes advertised, but half the pile will be rotting already. I guess it would be a good place to go if you shop every day.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 AM

861 posts, read 944,800 times
Target is better. Stores are cleaner, employees friendlier and they actually open more registers if the line has more than 3 customers. And plenty of parking spaces without people sleeping in them overnight.

Prices are higher though, but they do have excellent sales where prices are lower than local markets. I've bought ice cream for $2.25 ($3.59 at Walmart) and Campbell's soup for $.89 ($1.98 at Walmart).

Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM

10,124 posts, read 16,721,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Target is better. Stores are cleaner, employees friendlier and they actually open more registers if the line has more than 3 customers. And plenty of parking spaces without people sleeping in them overnight.

Prices are higher though, but they do have excellent sales where prices are lower than local markets. I've bought ice cream for $2.25 ($3.59 at Walmart) and Campbell's soup for $.89 ($1.98 at Walmart).
To each, his own. I have not experienced high quality customer service at any Target. And I've never seen anybody sleeping in the parking lot at either store.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
We don't shop anywhere for groceries that is not an actual Grocery, Market, Farmer's Market or Butcher shop but that our choice.
We also do not shop at Target or Walmart unless it is absolutely necessary to do so because they are the only options where we are.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM

642 posts, read 909,037 times
I have a serious problem with how Walmart treats their employees.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 AM

15,581 posts, read 9,657,290 times
I have a Walmart Neighborhood Market a block from me but drive further to go to Publix. If I do stop at WM the only things I buy are in cans or cat food, the meat and produce are disgusting. I had to laugh at those commercials where WM "secretly" put steaks in a steak house and the diners were amazed how good they were !

True story: I stopped at the WM on day to get some things and picked up some Johnsonville Brats and headed to the produce aisle. I started smelling something like an unflushed toilet and thought it was something in the produce area, so I moved to the canned food aisle. The smell followed me.

I reached down and picked up the brats and they smelled like death ! My hand smelled from touching them and I headed to the restroom to wash my hands. On the way I passed two managers who were talking and told them the meat in the brat/hot dog area was rotten, the cooler must have gone out. One of them said "I can smell your hands from here !" They thanked me and headed to check it out.

The next day I went back for something else (not meat !) and decided to check the brat cooler. THE SAME MEAT WAS STILL THERE AND STILL STUNK ! I went home and called the Health Department and reported them. I won't even buy anything there any more unless it is in a can or bottle.

The store is also dirty and dark, at night they shut off the lights in the produce aisle and you have to grope your way along. There are also no baskets (they say customers keep stealing them) and the carts all have square wheels. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Don

Old 05-14-2014, 12:05 PM

21,001 posts, read 25,765,271 times
I don't think any grocery store qualifies as "worst". There are stores I usually don't shop at because I can buy cheaper elsewhere.

I don't go into the local Walmart very often, but they have pretty good, but not cheap, produce and a really excellent in-store bakery for bread. The cakes and sweets aren't as good as Costco, but they are about average for an in-store bakery. I've never bought any of their meat.

The local Walmart is clean. The employees are paid $3 an hour over minimum wage and they get benefits, so I don't have any ethical reasons to not shop there. I don't shop there because they don't sell much of the what I buy and I don't like the long slow checkout lines.

I don't shop the local Safeway because of high prices. The store is clean and produce and meat are good. There is nothing wrong with the store.

One of the local grocery stores sells overripe fish at their fish department, so I would not buy fish there. Everything else about that store is fine: clean, good service, decent quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or