Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:25 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times

Advertisements

A Swiss restaurant has decided to fine its diners for leaving food on their plates. What do you think about this? Would this deter you from eating at restaurant that has such a policy?

Good Food - Swiss restaurant adopts a food waste fee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,228,489 times
It wouldn't deter me if the food was good.

They should do away with the buffet style lunch at that restaurant.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:36 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
I suppose it depends on what constitutes "food left on the plate." I mean, I've gone to a buffet and put a food item on my plate only to find out it's disgusting. Should I be fined for being unable to eat something that was poorly prepared? I know some will say I should get a tiny portion of the item and come back for more, but I think that's unreasonable.

I never eat enough food at the buffets we visit to justify the cost ($15 per person), so fining me for not eating everything on my plate would be ridiculous. As I said previously, anything left on my plate will be left there because of poor preparation not because I was greedy.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,718,265 times
I actually applaud them and wish every buffet would do the same.

When the sign says........." all you can eat"......you are defrauding the restaurant by taking more than you can finish.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,415,214 times
The only way I could see it being reasonable would be if a doggy bag were provided to take home the leftovers and a fee charged for the doggy bag.

Although I suppose that then some people would pile their next day's meal onto their plate and pay the fee to take that home.

I won't eat where the final cost is a complete mystery. I'd pass on this restaurant, even though I am pretty good at guessing what I can clean off my plate and not taking more than that.

It's beyond me how the buffet places make a profit. People can be so greedy ad wasteful.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,147,105 times
I've seen that for years at certain Chinese and Sushi buffets around here. I don't have an issue with it. I hate wasting food so I think it's a good thing if it helps deter people from doing that. The places are always still packed so I'm not sure that policy is turning people away.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
...When the sign says........." all you can eat"......you are defrauding the restaurant by taking more than you can finish...
What?!?! I think "defrauding" is a bit harsh when you are paying for it.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-15-2014 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 PM

126,105 posts, read 18,857,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I suppose it depends on what constitutes "food left on the plate." I mean, I've gone to a buffet and put a food item on my plate only to find out it's disgusting. Should I be fined for being unable to eat something that was poorly prepared? I know some will say I should get a tiny portion of the item and come back for more, but I think that's unreasonable.

I never eat enough food at the buffets we visit to justify the cost ($15 per person), so fining me for not eating everything on my plate would be ridiculous. As I said previously, anything left on my plate will be left there because of poor preparation not because I was greedy.

I feel the same way Dirt Grinder..some food may be under cooked or just bad tasting from previous experience. I try just to serve a tiny bit to taste test...that's how we should do actually..if we like it serve more. I am aware a lot of food gets wasted,sometimes we eat with the eyes,while our stomach can handle less. To charge for leftovers is absurd.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,718,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What?!?! I think "defrauding" is a bit harsh when you are paying for it.
You are not paying for " all you can take"

You are paying for " all you can eat "

That can be a big difference.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
...I try just to serve a tiny bit to taste test...
Here's an example - I got some chicken wings and frog legs. I know I like them, and I know how much I can eat. Well, the frog legs were excellent, as usual, but the chicken wings (drumettes) were large so they were undercooked at the bone. Now I have four more undercooked drumettes on my plate - I didn't eat them.

After that experience, I do check a single wing before I go back and get more. It's a bit inconvenient, and the fault is in the restaurant's preparation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink