U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM

118,750 posts, read 13,663,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Here's an example - I got some chicken wings and frog legs. I know I like them, and I know how much I can eat. Well, the frog legs were excellent, as usual, but the chicken wings (drumettes) were large so they were undercooked at the bone. Now I have four more undercooked drumettes on my plate - I didn't eat them.

After that experience, I do check a single wing before I go back and get more. It's a bit inconvenient, and the fault is in the restaurant's preparation.
You are !00% right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,168,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
...That can be a big difference.
I agree - provided the food is palatable and prepared correctly. Perhaps I am the one being "defrauded" .

Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,483,422 times
A Chinese place near me charges $3 for the Styrofoam container to take home your leftovers.

If you try to defraud him by piling another whole meal on your plate, he charges the price of the buffet meal.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I agree - provided the food is palatable and prepared correctly. Perhaps I am the one being "defrauded" .
..IF......the food is not cooked right, yes, you are being defrauded.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Many,many chicken buffet places where I used to live in rural central MN.

I was surprised to hear that a guy from our small town was banned from most of the buffets.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:15 PM

293 posts, read 418,177 times
I don't think there's a perfect solution, but I do think restaurant buffet managers do need to pay attention to food waste and take some action to curb it. Maybe have the servers question each person who leaves more than a few bites on their plate "Is something wrong with the fish/chicken/spareribs, etc.?" Maybe it would embarrass people into being more careful if they had to explain why so much food was left behind.

I'm somewhat opposed to letting people take leftovers home from a buffet, even for a charge. I once lived in a small town where a local diner had a lunch buffet consisting of one hot entrée (that changed every day, usually a casserole) plus a salad bar. One day spareribs were advertised as the hot item and I decided to go for lunch because I've never been able to make good spareribs at home. Well, when I got there a family of earlier diners had cleaned out all the spareribs and were sitting there with a huge uneaten platter of them in the center of their table, which they asked to take home at the end of the meal. Meanwhile the kitchen staff were chasing around trying to find something to feed the later diners, including me, other than just salad. I waited almost half an hour and finally they came out with some cooked chicken slathered with barbecue sauce. I was rather put out because I paid for spareribs and didn't get any, only poorly prepared chicken as a substitute. Of course it wasn't the owners' fault - they didn't want to offend any of their customers. I'd rather see a big sign telling people they can't take home leftovers and to take only what they can eat, right here and right now!

Old 05-15-2014, 05:23 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,168,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagonorth View Post
...One day spareribs were advertised as the hot item and I decided to go for lunch because I've never been able to make good spareribs at home. Well, when I got there a family of earlier diners had cleaned out all the spareribs and were sitting there with a huge uneaten platter of them in the center of their table, which they asked to take home at the end of the meal...
I've seen the same thing happen when crab legs are offered. A family will go up and each of them will pile as many crab legs as possible on their plates then sit down and eat crab legs until they are stuffed. The buffet will only put out a limited number of crab legs during the entire evening, and I don't blame the restaurant.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-15-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,412,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A Swiss restaurant has decided to fine its diners for leaving food on their plates. What do you think about this? Would this deter you from eating at restaurant that has such a policy?

Good Food - Swiss restaurant adopts a food waste fee
NO THANKS!!!!!!
Ill take my business where I am not treated like somebody's child! They will save themselves right out of business is my bet.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:50 PM

many times when one acts like a pig, they deserve to be treated as a child !

Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,680,379 times
A former coworker had a special purse: large and with a plastic lining. She took it to buffets so she could fill it with food, usually as much fried chicken as she could stuff inside. Then she brought it for lunch the next several days.

She maintained it wasn't stealing. The restaurant said, "All you can eat" and she was eating it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or