U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 AM

34,657 posts, read 42,807,149 times

Advertisements

The Swiss are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 AM

912 posts, read 1,191,562 times
I hate the idea of this policy because I actually act responsibly at buffets and try to only take what I can eat and finish.

I also hate the idea that there are people in the world who take advantage of these buffets and make the restaurant think a policy like this is necessary.

I don't go to buffets often -- usually just an Indian buffet occasionally for lunch, or a more upscale "brunch buffet" at nice hotels for special occasions. I'm pretty good about scoping out the entire buffet before grabbing a plate, taking small portions if I'm unsure about something, being reasonable about how much I can really eat, etc.

However, I've absolutely left food on the plate -- a misjudged hunger level, a dish I expected to love but had a revolting sauce, mozzarella cheese that tasted overwhelmingly like the gross cantaloupe that was sitting nearby (that one happened recently). It happens -- not often, but it does. Are you going to charge by the spoonful, or will one spoonful count the same as half a plate of waste? I don't like it, either way.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 AM

9,895 posts, read 5,790,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've seen the same thing happen when crab legs are offered. A family will go up and each of them will pile as many crab legs as possible on their plates then sit down and eat crab legs until they are stuffed. The buffet will only put out a limited number of crab legs during the entire evening, and I don't blame the restaurant.
I've seen this too. Unless you're a fast cracker, don't they (crab legs) get rather cold and sometimes a little bit more rubbery tasting? Some places those crab legs are huge. I can barely put more than 2 or 3 of them on my plate and get done about the same time as DH does. However, by that time, he's probably already had his dessert and is ready to leave. So, now I either just get one and other food items or skip getting the crab legs altogether. How long does one take with 7 or 8 of those huge crab legs on their plates? I can see if they're bringing them back to the family and sharing but I've seen them brought back for just that one person to eat and it just makes me wonder I guess. They must be at that restaurant to eat and be there for more than a couple hours. Meanwhile more people come into the restaurant and wait to be seated.

I only try to put on my plate what I can manage to eat. Another instance to think about - what if tho, someone in your family doesn't feel so good or you get called away (emergency work call) and can't finish your meal due to those reasons? Should that be fair to charge you because you weren't able to finish? Not all buffets will allow for take-home. So, then they charge you because you couldn't finish what was on your plate?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,917,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A Swiss restaurant has decided to fine its diners for leaving food on their plates. What do you think about this? Would this deter you from eating at restaurant that has such a policy?

Good Food - Swiss restaurant adopts a food waste fee
There was a place in Kansas City that we always saw on TV. It was called the GOLD BUFFET. Used to be a great place but went down hill. She had signs up that anyone wasting food would be charged extra.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM

994 posts, read 1,200,830 times
European restaurants aren't like American restaurants, meaning the former generally don't serve ridiculously huge portions. Unless you didn't like your dish, it shouldn't be a challenge to "clean the plate."

I think it's a great idea.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,626,037 times
As Dogbert wisely pointed out one time, "Technically, it's all you can eat, not all you DO eat."

Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM

2,981 posts, read 3,772,628 times
How are you going to enforce this?
You couldn't enforce something like this in the new world, particularly if you also serve alcohol

Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,713,756 times
I've heard the same thing about a restaurant in France. I don't think it's a bad thing, that may help people think twice before putting tons of food on their plates.
Of course the food can taste bad or be undercooked or whatever, but in that case let the restaurant know about it and if they're honest they won't charge you for that.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 PM

42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
I agree that one of the big problems with that policy is if the food is nasty. Why should you be forced to finish that?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,479,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree that one of the big problems with that policy is if the food is nasty. Why should you be forced to finish that?

You shouldn't be forced to eat it providing it is your first trip thru the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or