U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:35 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times

Advertisements

The doughnuts the class made in Home Ec. The ones from the farmers market. The guy had some beautiful produce - and doughnuts. His wife had made them and they were terrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:15 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I had a sick Polish donut from a bakery by my house, that's still my favorite ever
I second the Polish doughnut, but mine was one of those pre-lenten doughnuts - a round one filled with fruit. ...

Pascki - another word for heaven....

I moved to Ohio three years ago, and there's a great Polish bakery in Akron. I had them all of my life back in NY. I think these may be even better than any bakery Polish doughnuts.

All Polish doughnuts are dense yet somehow fluffy. Not greasy. Crispy. And filled with a delicious fruit filling (some are not) that is not super sweet.

These are absolutely THE BEST DOUGHNUTS on EARTH!

If you live in Ohio, Chicago or Greenpoint Brooklyn - you must have had these.

Last edited by sheena12; 04-11-2015 at 11:26 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 AM

71 posts, read 67,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I second the Polish doughnut, but mine was one of those pre-lenten doughnuts - a round one filled with fruit. ...

Pascki - another word for heaven....

I moved to Ohio three years ago, and there's a great Polish bakery in Akron. I had them all of my life back in NY. I think these may be even better than any bakery Polish doughnuts.

All Polish doughnuts are dense yet somehow fluffy. Not greasy. Crispy. And filled with a delicious fruit filling (some are not) that is not super sweet.

These are absolutely THE BEST DOUGHNUTS on EARTH!

If you live in Ohio, Chicago or Greenpoint Brooklyn - you must have had these.
...so very true,Greenpoint is like LITTLE POLAND!....there is nothing like a airy lite donut that is filled with a real fruit filling...i dont know how people enjoy Dunkins jelly donuts....tasteless JELLO injected fillings.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:18 PM

700 posts, read 622,733 times
Depends on the type of donut!

Best cake donuts I've had? Any of the cake varieties from Top Pot (Seattle-based local chain). I don't normally care for cake donuts too much, but theirs are evilly addictive (Has a perfect hint of nutmeg in the batter). Great old fashioned glazed as well.

For raised yeast donuts, it's a toss-up between a number of little Mom & Pop shops I've tried all over. I'm a sucker for good apple fritter or anything with maple frosting on it, and it seems the best ones come from the smallest shops

Old 04-13-2015, 10:22 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,067,347 times
Stew Leonard's - Apple Cider donuts.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:29 AM

13,009 posts, read 12,440,016 times
Cider donuts from Delicious Orchards in South Jersey. Friggin' amazing.

Other good ones were at the top of Pike's Peak's cog rail. But that was probably a lot to do with the atmosphere. When you're 14,000+ feet up and 20+ degrees colder than you were at the start of the adventure, cocoa and donuts is like being offered a slice of heaven.

We have the famed Voodoo donuts in Denver, and me and some friends got a sample box. They were ... uninspiring. Way too sweet.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:30 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz
Where and what was the VERY best donut you ever had?
When dunkin' donuts FIRST CAME OUT WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTED DONUTS,I loved them!!!!!!!

Now they are complete crap!!! (Not made the same way)

Old 03-27-2016, 04:32 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I know I am about to commit doughnut heresy here, but I just was not impressed by Krispy Kreme, warm or cold. Totally meh.

I agree. They're ok at best. Even hot off the line.

Best donut I ever had...

I cooked a beautiful, high quality meat burger.
Cut a Duncan's glazed donut in half and used that as burger buns.
Ate it.

Flippin' ridiculously best donut I ever had.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:37 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
My favorite donut is Boston cream with real vanilla custard - not angel cream. The best version I ever had was from my friend's mom's bakery. Every little thing about it was perfect - the soft but not runny real chocolate icing, slightly chewy dense pastry, fresh homemade vanilla custard. I need a moment.

I'm another Krispy Kreme bashed. I hate that they glaze all their donuts. Too sweet and just blah.

Donut buns for beef burgers are the thing now. If going with a sweet bun I'd rather have Hawaiian bread than a donut though - for a burger.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:37 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
Homemade ones. So yummy. With powdered sugar, or nutella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink