U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times

Advertisements

It's weird, I guess, but I am indifferent about Krispy Kreme donuts. They're too greasy and melty. I prefer cake donuts to yeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,298,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sour cream glazed? I have never heard of those. Or are they cake donuts - sour cream cake is an old fave of mine - I just always think of "glazed donuts" to mean the yeast type - not cake.

I'm not a donut aficionado, although I did try a maple-bacon donut from Duck Donuts in OBX last weekend...it was mighty damn good. And I imagine one day I will try another one. But the only donut that I seriously cannot resist - I mean, if someone walks up and waves them in front of me - would be a hot Krispy Kreme. And even as good as those are, I rarely have them. I just can't eat like that any more.

Sour cream donuts is a cake donut but with sour cream in the mix. I don't like sour cream but I do like these donuts. It gives the outside a more crusty texture and the inside is moist.
I have never had a Krispy Kreme but I heard they are good hot.
Growing up though they were not my favorite it was fun to go get Cider donuts which were hot at the cider mill.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
...Growing up though they were not my favorite it was fun to go get Cider donuts which were hot at the cider mill.
Hey - don't leave us hanging, there's a story here, and I would like to hear it. What about that cider mill?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:50 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,298,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hey - don't leave us hanging, there's a story here, and I would like to hear it. What about that cider mill?

You are funny. In MI from Labor Day till I think Thanksgiving they are open. I think the donuts are cinnamon with cider in the mix. They make them there and you can see it being done. They come hot and the bag gets greasy from them. They have a slight crunch that I thought was apple pieces but it may just be the texture. You really need to eat them right away. They have of course have fresh cider, caramel apples so forth. Just a fun place to take the family.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:58 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
...In MI from Labor Day till I think Thanksgiving they are open. I think the donuts are cinnamon with cider in the mix. They make them there and you can see it being done. They come hot and the bag gets greasy from them. They have a slight crunch that I thought was apple pieces but it may just be the texture. You really need to eat them right away. They have of course have fresh cider, caramel apples so forth. Just a fun place to take the family.
Thanks for providing more of a mental picture - I'm down here in Dixie, and we don't have anything like that. I would LOVE to taste those cider donuts.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:08 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times
Winchell's, SoCal, '70's, 3:00 a.m. donut runs with the roomies after all-night study sessions. My personal favorite was devil's food donut with chocolate frosting washed down with hot chocolate, never gained a pound, those were the days!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'm a bit surprised someone else mentioned this place. This place was a college tradition at Caltech, at least it was in the late 90s. I have no idea why we called it "Far Fosters" because the actual name is The Donut Man. It's on Foothill (i.e. Rt 66) in Glendora and they're famous for their strawberry donuts. They aren't so much strawberry topped as they are strawberry filled. And you know they're good because you can only get them in season.

It may be their most famous donut, but it's not my favorite. When the spring strawberry season is over, summer brings the peach donut, which is even better. So many great memories of 2AM donut runs.
I too loved the peach filled or topped ones, but I always think "strawberry" for some reason. They are still there cause they were featured on Food Network about a year or so ago. Of course the original owner, I am sure is long gone. Hubby was raised in Glendora, we lived in Altadena, Arcadia and Glendora as well as Covina, before we left CA. I lived in west Pasa and went to school both in Pasa and Eagle Rock. That is why I also think of Winchell's donuts and why I am in love with Trader Joes.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 8 days ago)

3,929 posts, read 3,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Where and what was the VERY best donut you ever had?
Hot Krispy Kremes right off the assembly line is without question the best I've ever had. The next best was in Round Rock, TX at Round Rock Doughnuts, they have an apple fritter that's out of this world.

World Famous Round Rock Donuts

Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,438,058 times
A mom-and-pop store in my town called The Donut. Double chocolate cake-style is just the best, with peanuts sprinkled on top even better! When I held department meetings for the drivers at my old job I could guarantee they'd show up if I brought a box from The Donut.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 AM

44,326 posts, read 35,387,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Hot Krispy Kremes right off the assembly line is without question the best I've ever had. The next best was in Round Rock, TX at Round Rock Doughnuts; they have an apple fritter that's out of this world.

World Famous Round Rock Donuts
My response will be just like yours.......and in that order, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink