U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 PM

44 posts, read 32,323 times

Advertisements

I guess my first favorite would be the canned tomato products I use to make Italian sauce (soon I'd like to start making it from scratch and not use cans). I think my 2nd favorite canned food would be the kidney beans I use to make chili (NO desire to soak the beans to make chili). I guess tuna would be 3rd on the list. Other than those things I don't really use many canned foods. I make my own chicken stock. If I use any kind of store bought broth or stock, it's organic and in a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:01 PM

10,948 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a good point. While Jersey is known for it's tasty tomatoes, unfortunately they are only around for a short time. The crap they ship in that's sold in the supermarkets isn't worth spending money on. So, canned comes in handy when you need them.
Yah canned tomatoes are much better than the off season crud they sell in the produce section.

My favorite canned meal is stewed rice and okra. Put over rice and beans with some hot sauce- yum

Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 PM

6,124 posts, read 5,151,071 times
Beefaroni
Dinty Moore beef stew
Campbell's tomato soup
Hormel chili

Old 10-30-2014, 04:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,444,954 times
Tomatoes. I think canning actually improves them.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,537,784 times
Mostly tomatoes and beans.

I learned a Martha Stewart tip to rinse the "goo" off that the canned beans come in before using them in a recipe.

They taste much fresher, and lose a lot of the "canned" taste. You can always add back in your own salt, seasonings, bacon, onions, garlic, etc.

We do also use a lot of canned corn. and I'll admit to using cream soups in my chicken pie, but that's about it.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:47 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Greens are my favorite canned food. They're easy to doctor up a bit and heat quickly to go with fried chicken and macaroni and cheese from the deli. Otherwise I'm not big on canned foods. Yams, chili, fruit cocktail, and pineapple are the only other canned items that come to mind that I care for.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup for me.

canned Bacon mmmmm good

Yoders Fully Cooked Canned Bacon

Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Mostly tomatoes and beans.

I learned a Martha Stewart tip to rinse the "goo" off that the canned beans come in before using them in a recipe.

They taste much fresher, and lose a lot of the "canned" taste. You can always add back in your own salt, seasonings, bacon, onions, garlic, etc.

We do also use a lot of canned corn. and I'll admit to using cream soups in my chicken pie, but that's about it.
The goo is actually what produces gas, so I rinse any canned beans even though I really like sipping at "bean liquor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I guess my first favorite would be the canned tomato products I use to make Italian sauce (soon I'd like to start making it from scratch and not use cans). I think my 2nd favorite canned food would be the kidney beans I use to make chili (NO desire to soak the beans to make chili). I guess tuna would be 3rd on the list. Other than those things I don't really use many canned foods. I make my own chicken stock. If I use any kind of store bought broth or stock, it's organic and in a box.
Making an Italian sauce from scratch is very time-consuming and doesn't taste all that great unless you're an expert. You have to blanch off the skin, mince it (hopefully with a food processor), and reduce the sauce by boiling, even before you get to the real cooking.

I didn't think of tuna ....... it's so different from fresh, yet tastes so good if doctored up with mayo etc ..... there's really nothing like it.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:14 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,575,143 times
I don't buy many canned goods...but I do like and buy canned tomato's, tomato soup and canned albacore tuna.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
^Canned tomatoes! Yes, such as stewed tomatoes, or whole and crushed tomatoes for making pasta sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or