U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:29 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,530,586 times

Advertisements

Real food does not come in cans.

But for emergency usage I do keep a supply of black olives, Chow Mein vegetables, Water Chestnuts and Salmon on hand. that I do sample almost daily.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The only canned food we have in the house is Del Monte Peas, corn and creamed corn but they are only used when my husband is not eating at home. He dislikes canned vegetables.
Like you, we eat very few canned foods. We do keep canned soups, both for spoiled brats lunch once in awhile and to use as sauces. I also keep tuna, salmon, and a few canned veggies like corn, maybe beans and beets. I guess, if I had to pick a favorite it would be canned beets.

oh, I forgot about olives, but we usually only have them at holiday time or maybe in a salad. I do keep tomato sauce and canned tomatoes, in case I run out of the home canned ones before the next canning season. I use canned beans only for bean salad about once of twice a year.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:02 AM

693 posts, read 747,794 times
Mountain Dew, Spam, tuna, oysters, tomatoes, sweetened condensed milk

Old 05-16-2014, 08:16 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,478,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Real food does not come in cans.

But for emergency usage I do keep a supply of black olives, Chow Mein vegetables, Water Chestnuts and Salmon on hand. that I do sample almost daily.
Real food does come in cans.

I recently read an article urging people to eat more vegetables and stating to buy them either fresh, frozen, or canned.

The article stated it was a myth that frozen vegetables and canned vegetables were not good sources of needed nutrients.

A MYTH, that is perpetuated by internet posters.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM

835 posts, read 816,790 times
Whenever I make my homemade spinach & artichoke dip, I ONLY use quartered artichokes (in water, no oil) in a can. My favorite brand: Reese! Yum. So flavorful.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 AM

13,717 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post

I recently read an article urging people to eat more vegetables and stating to buy them either fresh, frozen, or canned.

The article stated it was a myth that frozen vegetables and canned vegetables were not good sources of needed nutrients.

Before the logistics advances in the past thirty years, most people canned their own foods to last through the winter months. Otherwise, they had to deal with the very limited selections in the produce department of the supermarkets and corner markets.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,530,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post

That only applies to people that do not do home canning and live in areas in which there is no supply of local farm fresh goodies.

While canned and frozen have the same nutritional value. Real food is when you can harvest it yourself or know the guy who did.

We do keep a minimum of 6 months worth of canned goods on hand, because of our long harsh winter. but definitely look foreward to the the ripening gardens when we can get stuff we pick our self. For some reason there seems to be more satisfaction in a zucchini I raised myself than one pre-sliced in a frozen package or canned.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-16-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,498,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup for me.
Campbell's Spaghetti-O's with meatballs. I could live off of those things and I have before.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 AM

3,297 posts, read 2,186,323 times
Okay, I confess (I'm whispering), I like Spam, sardines too, but only King Oscar sardines in tomato sauce, for some reason they don't taste the same in olive oil. I like Bush's original baked beans and Chef Boyardee's ravioli.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:53 AM

11,436 posts, read 13,985,675 times
Spam "Hot and Spicy". I grill it with some eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or