U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times

Advertisements

I really can't think of any holiday foods I don't like, because if I didn't I wouldn't make them.
I would never put marshmallows on sweet potatoes, but I can understand that in some families its a tradition from childhood, and I am in favor of keeping up the traditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:57 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
So many marshmallow/peeps haters, so little time.....

lolol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I use the word "food" very loosely here, but Marshmallow Peeps. Never mind the fact that I don't like them, but a friend told me a story about how her uncle used to work for the company that makes them, and some of the things that used to go in the vat. No thanks!

OK, my curiosity is piqued. What, exactly, goes into the making of Peeps? Isn't it pretty much just sugar and air?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So many marshmallow/peeps haters, so little time
I don't like Peeps either. More for you, then, right?

On the subject of Peeps and Easter, you also may have the Cadbury cream eggs (caramel yummy) and the raisin sauce for the ham.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,574,921 times
I do not know if I have ever had a sweet potato pie. I actually like sweet potatoes but that idea of adding more sugar and then marshmallows just seems so gross to me. I like other types of pies and desserts but gotta be gluten free.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:28 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,437,081 times
No Peeps, no lamb, but I make up for it with chocolate bunnies.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
For decades I thought I didn't like yams because of that canned yam with brown sugar and marshmallow that seems to be a Thanksgiving tradition. I was so surprised the first time I tasted a baked yam with just a bit of butter. Yams are good!

I don't eat giblets, so if you put giblets into the gravy or stuffing, I can't eat it.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:57 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
I won`t eat anything with marshmallow in it. Not yams, not sweet potato.
No vegetables swimming in cream of crap soup.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:36 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,382,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Almost all sweets, really. Sweet potato pie or sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows. Ham with sweet sauce. Pumpkin pie or most any kind of pie, unless its a cream pie. Anything with coconut. (I can make an exception for a cream pie with some crumbled roasted coconut.)

Divinity. Peanut brittle. Anything that is mostly candy. Fruit cake. Dry turkey. (Dry anything really.) Cookies. Cakes. Dry dressing/stuffing. Any veg that is roasted and has black bits. Anything with frosting.

Still trying to think of others.
I'm with you. I also dislike most holiday sweets. Ham, goose, duck, any sort of weird white person meat with sweet sauce or gravy are also on my avoid list.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:44 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Quote:
Anything involving marshmallow...I don't put 'em on my sweet potatoes, and Peeps
know better than to darken my doorstep. The sole instance in which I will
tolerate marshmallow is in rice crispy treats.
Completely agree.

Actually, there is one more instance that I enjoy marshmallows and that is toasted. But they must be eaten alone and not combined with chocolate etc. No s'mores for me. (shudders).

And I've never ever understood marshmallows on sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are plenty sweet without adding sweet goop to them.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:29 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,489,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Almost all sweets, really. Sweet potato pie or sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows. Ham with sweet sauce. Pumpkin pie or most any kind of pie, unless its a cream pie. Anything with coconut. (I can make an exception for a cream pie with some crumbled roasted coconut.)

Divinity. Peanut brittle. Anything that is mostly candy. Fruit cake. Dry turkey. (Dry anything really.) Cookies. Cakes. Dry dressing/stuffing. Any veg that is roasted and has black bits. Anything with frosting.

Still trying to think of others.
Fruitcake.

Marshmallow Peeps.

Plum pudding.

Yorkshire pudding.

Turnips (my family always had 'em for Thanksgiving).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or