U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:32 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times

Advertisements

Anything served at the OP's 70Ford house based on the exclusion list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,598,773 times
Anything involving yams, sweet potatoes, or marshmallows unless it is fudge made with marshmallow fluff. Green bean casserole made with canned beans and canned soup. Fruitcake or cakes made with coconut unless it is Italian Cream Cake.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:42 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,608,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Almost all sweets, really. Sweet potato pie or sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows. Ham with sweet sauce. Pumpkin pie or most any kind of pie, unless its a cream pie. Anything with coconut. (I can make an exception for a cream pie with some crumbled roasted coconut.)

Divinity. Peanut brittle. Anything that is mostly candy. Fruit cake. Dry turkey. (Dry anything really.) Cookies. Cakes. Dry dressing/stuffing. Any veg that is roasted and has black bits. Anything with frosting.

Still trying to think of others.
I avoid plain carbs, like white bread, or traditional rolls. If I'm getting a heaping of that, I'd rather do something with flavor, like roasted potatoes or yams.

If the food's free, or it's an all you can eat buffet, I tend to go crazier than I should. Otherwise, if I do something like buy too much food from Boston Market or Chicken Out, I'll just fridge the leftovers and eat it over several meals.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:12 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,811,269 times
Maybe it's because I'm asian, but we don't have a lot of those things everyone is listing. No yams, no sweet potato anything, no green bean casserole, no yorkshire pudding, lamb, etc. Heck, thanksgiving means turkey and stuffing (given), then a ton of asian food. Sushi, sashimi, won tons, some sort of noodle dish, etc. Actually, most holidays have the main ingredient (ham for Easter), then mostly asian food. LOL.

What my mom makes, I eat. What my family makes, I typically will eat. Can't think of anything I won't eat during a holiday meal. Hmm.....

Old 05-17-2014, 05:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,751,710 times
Lutefisk, and to a slighter degree, lefse. Usually consumed, I believe, to remind those of us with Scandanavian ancestry why it was they left the old country.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:39 PM

642 posts, read 908,484 times
I generally don't worry too much about fat or sugar on a holiday. However, I do attempt to avoid GMOs which is getting much harder to do.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM

486 posts, read 554,543 times
I don't mind an occasional Peep. I'm not a fan of fruitcake.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Never was a big Peep fan. I do really like mashed yams with streussel topping and marshmallows though. I also like my own candied yam casserole, which has pineapple chunks, raisins, brown sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon. I consider it a fruity dessert though, not a side-dish.

Things I don't like during holidays:

Wheat pie
The hard-boiled egg in the corners of the lasagne pan
Deviled eggs
Turnips, mashed or otherwise
Parsnips
Sweet potatoes prepared ANY other way than as a desserty dish (I can't stand sweet potato fries).
Brussels sprouts
Scungilli
Calamari
Mussels/oysters/raw clams (I'll take 4 dozen steamers though, with garlic butter and broth)
Chioppino or any of its native Italian ancestors
I'm okay with linguine and alici though, in small doses.
Lamb - ugh.
Duck
Most game meats, though this one time I had an exquisite slice of roast caribou with tons of garlic that a friend's husband shot and butchered himself, and it was to die for.
Gefilte fish. Never learned how to enjoy that. My dad drools over the stuff. I'm fine with chopped liver though. Go figure

Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
No sweet potatoes with added sugar, no marshmallows (except roasted and in smores). And most filled chocolates are sickeningly sweet to me. No fruitcake--it's traditional but banal. No ham that tastes like candy with pork. No sickeningly sweet cranberries.

I love sweet potatoes and yams without added sugar, I love ham cooked to my taste, and I could eat pumpkin pie as a staple. Mashed potatoes are a food group.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 AM

535 posts, read 390,360 times
I like Peeps OK, but boy! Very few of them, and I end up jacked up like Cornholio! Worst sugar rush ever (and I am quite the candy hog).

Sooo....holiday foods I avoid. So many holidays these days! But I'll go with Thanksgiving, and say that I'm not a sweet potato fan at all, beit in pie or with marshmallows or however else.

I like stuffing to be simple. No nuts or mushrooms. Just bread or cornbread, onions, celery, stock, and seasoning. And I don't care whether it is Stove Top or homemade.

Turkey, and to a lesser extent ham, are overrated, but I'll usually have a wee bit just to be social. I do like cold cuts a whole bunch, so I can't hate holiday meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or