U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
...the dreaded "Green Bean Casserole...
We love Green Bean Casserole. In fact, we just made a batch less than a week ago . Those fruitcakes become more palatable if you pour some Bird's Custard over each serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You need to meet people who make better fruitcakes! The kind with dried fruit instead of candied fruit -- dates and figs and raisins and cranberries -- and rum (or bourbon, I'm not fussy) are delicious.
I'm sure it can be made to taste good. But that's not the custom! lol
I think the whole point of fruitcake is to see who likes you enough to eat it anyway. It's a test of loyalty. You're breaking tradition here.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 05-19-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, love sweet potatoes but not that way. Cranberry in the can, lamb, spiral ham but I like deli sliced ham. Dark meat turkey, giblet gravy, giblets in general, fruit cake, stollen.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I think the whole point of fruitcake is to see who likes you enough to eat it anyway. It's a test of loyalty. You're breaking tradition here.
LOL! Sorry about that!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 919,560 times
I like most holiday food. Never saw a green bean casserole or marshmallow potatoes but they sound disgusting. One thing I'll never eat is gravy.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 AM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Any fruit dessert involving gelatin. It was a standard at the holiday table of my youth, and I've choked down enough for a lifetime.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:52 AM

30,408 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
You need to meet people who make better fruitcakes! The kind with dried fruit instead of candied fruit -- dates and figs and raisins and cranberries -- and rum (or bourbon, I'm not fussy) are delicious.
STOP IT! When I was a kid, I wore a pin at Christmastime that had the word "fruitcake" with a line through it. You wouldn't believe the number of people who approached me to say that their mom, their grandma their great-Aunt Tillie, etc. made the best fruitcake and told me I should try it!!

My mom loves it, BTW.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM

441 posts, read 359,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Lutefisk, and to a slighter degree, lefse. Usually consumed, I believe, to remind those of us with Scandanavian ancestry why it was they left the old country.
I will give you lutefisk, but lefse is amazing!! I love it so much..

Quote:
I agree! My great grandma made some good stuff!

Holiday - most sweets are out for me. I am a savory-lover. And, I believe I must have overdone it on peanut brittle as a child...I can barely stand the sight of it these days.

Unflavored "stuff" bugs me. A family member will make a massive batch of potatoes...but add no seasoning what so ever. And the gravy is so thin that it just is depressing. So I bypass it...why waste the calories on something so dissatisfying..?

My husband makes a killer Green Bean Hotdish, though! I can put that down 1x a year!

And stuffing made from White Castle hamburgers - amazing.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM

351 posts, read 435,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Lutefisk, and to a slighter degree, lefse. Usually consumed, I believe, to remind those of us with Scandanavian ancestry why it was they left the old country.
Really? I love lefse! I have a friend that's part Norweigian and originally from North Dakota who lives within walking distance from my place. I helped him make lefse last December and he gave me a ton to take home. I ate all of it within a week!

Quote:
I never understood why so many people vilified or made fun of fruitcake. My mother used to make some awesome fruitcake with dried fruits and used either bourbon or rum, it was delicious!

And at least to me, candied yams or sweet potato casserole isn't complete unless its topped with marshmallows that have that golden brown top from being finished under the broiler.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 05-20-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 AM

441 posts, read 359,169 times
For those that asked about the White Castle stuffing...this is right on their website:

White Castle Turkey Stuffing

1991 Cookoff Winner

10 White Castle hamburgers, no pickles
1 1/2 cups celery, diced
1 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
3/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth

In a large mixing bowl, tear the burgers into pieces and add diced celery and seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth. Toss well. Stuff cavity of turkey just before roasting. Makes about 9 cups (enough for a 10- to 12-pound turkey). Note: Allow 1 hamburger for each pound of turkey, which will be the equivalent of 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound.

My BIL makes this, and I believe he doubles it...and we don't stuff the turkey, so this is baked in a 9x13 until it is the right consistency.

I love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or