U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:22 AM

56 posts, read 244,957 times

Advertisements

I just had a large iced mocha from McD's yesterday for $3.89 and it was about 80% ice, 10% whipped cream, and 5% "mocha". No amount of inflationary adjustment is going to convince me that was a good deal.

I bet that 15-cent hot chocolate from '72 tasted better than the ripoff mocha that passed thru my colon in 10 minutes.

The good ole days, I really miss 'em. Plus, if you were a cute chick in cutoff shorts, you could stick out your thumb and get a free ride to McD's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 03:40 AM

5,841 posts, read 6,921,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
I just had a large iced mocha from McD's yesterday for $3.89 and it was about 80% ice, 10% whipped cream, and 5% "mocha". No amount of inflationary adjustment is going to convince me that was a good deal.

I bet that 15-cent hot chocolate from '72 tasted better than the ripoff mocha that passed thru my colon in 10 minutes.

The good ole days, I really miss 'em. Plus, if you were a cute chick in cutoff shorts, you could stick out your thumb and get a free ride to McD's!

I think everything in 1972 was better than today, not just McD's. How much of that 42 year old big mac was real meat??? probably all of it. Today in 2014 what is it made out of??? I don't think we want to know. The car you drove there in was made of real American steel, today its made of cheap Chinese plastic. The money you paid with in 72 was backed by gold in fort Knox. Today the money you pay with is just paper, our government prints it at will to meet its needs. In 1972 no one waiting in line in front of you was talking on a cell, or texting. The worker could make change, no computer required. Michelle Obama was not out there trying to make you feel guilty for eating the big mac either. Back then we all knew to eat things like that in moderation, we all were not 250 pounds and still supersizing ourselves. I hate the 21rst century, we need a time machine invented so I can go back to the 1900s.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:41 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post

ride ride, ride, hitchin a ride

yes, they put way too much ice in them cups!!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:11 AM

7,858 posts, read 6,664,436 times
Yes the beef today probably has hormones added , and the wheat in the buns has been altered for growth production where it makes people obese, but the food still pretty much taste the same today as it did 1972

Old 05-17-2014, 04:43 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Change back from your dollar.

Fewer people staring up at the menu trying to decide what to eat, too.
exactly: I remember in about 1976 taking a bunch of 5th graders on a field trip: (no school busses I will add) I think I had 5 or maybe 4 kids in my car. We were in Sac. Ca and the class went to the acquariumm in San Jose, Ca (quite a trip) anyway we stopped on the way home and the kids all wanted McDonalds. Yep, burger, drink and fries for a $ with a little change back. The first McDonalds I ever had was in Glendale Ca. in the mid 50s. I think it was either 15 cents or 19.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Reminds me of the first MacDonalds i ever visited on Pasadena Ave in St Pete Fla.back in the early 70's. although the prices look inexpensive back then we didnt think so at the time.jn fact i think the burgers at the local Biff Burger were $0.25
They did look inexpensive to us, even in those days. That is why the kids loved them so much. A decent drive in charged .35 or .40 for a basic hamburger.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:02 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
The reason we didn't get obese from them in those days, was that they were a special treat, we didn't live in fast food joints. Nor did we get supersized fries and double this and triple that. We ate simple cheeseburgers, or hamburgers if you were on a diet or needed to save a dime.

I liked the filet of fish better back then. And the fries.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,490,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
honestly, fast food was a more expensive back then if you adjust for inflation. A dollar in 2014 converts to 16 cents in 1972. That means everything on the dollar menu would be significantly cheaper than a plain old hamburger that sold for 28 cents back in 1972.

The cheapest I remember seeing the original hamburgers was 39 cents back in the early 80's. I remember getting happy meals for under a dollar that came with a real toy, like an actual hot wheels car.
Yeah, but the burgers were bigger back then. What is called a hamburger now was much larger even when I was a kid (in the '80s and '90s), so I think it all evens out. Not to mention, they probably never used "pink slime" or any other crap additive in their meats back then.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:21 AM

44,332 posts, read 35,393,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Ah man!! -- Anyone getting hungry??

I used to love thier BIG MACS until they changed the sauce and now they arent as good
Well, hey, we can always reminisce on the McDonald's of old. They really were great days.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:46 AM

42,205 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Yes the beef today probably has hormones added , and the wheat in the buns has been altered for growth production where it makes people obese, but the food still pretty much taste the same today as it did 1972
No. The fries cooked in lard tasted so good, you didn't need ketchup.
Now they are cooked in veggie oil (I think some vegetarians were offended) and they aren't as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or