Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:06 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times

Advertisements

Someone mention brussel sprouts ?

How an item is prepared and then cooked and then there's the person's taste buds (that day) that are taken into consideration. It can either entice or put one off from eating it (either for short term or long term).

Squash - particularly butter nut squash has done that to me. Love-hate-love-hate-kinda liked throughout my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM

726 posts, read 1,365,976 times
Asparagus sandwiches are delicious too, especially on crusty sourdough with homemade avocado oil mayonnaise and a sprinkle of course black pepper. Yum!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,622,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I find that slender asparagus tastes a bit bitter but the fat stalks taste sweet. I prefer the latter, usually steamed just to the point of being tender. Grilled is good on occasion but it isn't as tender or sweet to me as steamed.
That is interesting- my wife loves asparagus so she makes it at least once per week. Always very fresh, local asparagus. I never find any sweetness to it either the thin or fat stalks- all I can sense is that nasty, bitter taste. Sometimes it can be masked by the seasonings the wife uses when cooking it, which collect more in the tips making those at least somewhat edible.

So I guess the link others have posted to the scientific research about some people being more sensitive to the bitter taste in this and other greens seems to really be true for me! Another I can't stand, again due to the rather bitter taste, is broccoli.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Someone mention brussel sprouts ?

How an item is prepared and then cooked and then there's the person's taste buds (that day) that are taken into consideration. It can either entice or put one off from eating it (either for short term or long term).

Squash - particularly butter nut squash has done that to me. Love-hate-love-hate-kinda liked throughout my life.
I think it's probably an individual's taste buds. I LOVE BUTTERNUT SQUASH -- that's my favorite.

When I've had asparagus, it's been the thicker stems because the thinner ones are not supposed to be as good. It's always been totally fresh from the garden or at least from a farm stand. They've been cooked right and everyone else raves about them. But that taste--sort of bitter yet metallic. Maybe if I tried some of the recipes on here that disguise the taste......

Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,622,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The first time I ever ate asparagus I went to pee several hours later and WOW, it stunk! I don't know why it happens but I've been afraid to eat any since. I thought something was wrong with me.
haha Yes! The first time I had it I was shocked a few hours later at just how terrible the pee smelled. I thought I had an infection or something, until days later when I heard someone randomly talking about how badly asparagus makes pee smell. I was relieved!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
That is interesting- my wife loves asparagus so she makes it at least once per week. Always very fresh, local asparagus. I never find any sweetness to it either the thin or fat stalks- all I can sense is that nasty, bitter taste. Sometimes it can be masked by the seasonings the wife uses when cooking it, which collect more in the tips making those at least somewhat edible.

So I guess the link others have posted to the scientific research about some people being more sensitive to the bitter taste in this and other greens seems to really be true for me! Another I can't stand, again due to the rather bitter taste, is broccoli.
I love asparagus but I really don't like broccoli. I'll eat it, but it tastes best if it's disguised in cream soup or cheese.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it's probably an individual's taste buds. I LOVE BUTTERNUT SQUASH -- that's my favorite.

When I've had asparagus, it's been the thicker stems because the thinner ones are not supposed to be as good. It's always been totally fresh from the garden or at least from a farm stand. They've been cooked right and everyone else raves about them. But that taste--sort of bitter yet metallic. Maybe if I tried some of the recipes on here that disguise the taste......
Why would you want to force yourself to eat something that isn't a necessary part of anyone's diet? You don't like asparagus. It's okay. You aren't required to. Just say no thanks next time someone offers it to you, and take an extra helping of squash. You can have my serving, because I don't like squash. And I'll have your asparagus.

There's absolutely no reason to disguise food to change the taste of it. Simply refrain from eating that particular thing.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:00 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,412 times
Don't like it either, thankfully, it's easy to avoid.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Don't like it either, thankfully, it's easy to avoid.
Yeah, if someone hated potatoes, that would be a lot harder.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, genetics. Excuse me for a moment while I see if I can locate that article ...... hmmm, yes, here it is: Hating greens and
Yeah, that's it. While I like asparagus, brussels sprouts often taste bitter to me and I really like dislike the taste of kale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink