U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, genetics. Excuse me for a moment while I see if I can locate that article ...... hmmm, yes, here it is: Hating greens and

There's the answer. Thanks. We all have different taste receptors and some of us taste the bitterness a lot more than others.

Asparagus always grew around the edge of my grandfather's garden, my dad's garden, and later I lived in Asparagus Valley, as it was called. So I've had my share of nice fresh perfectly cooked asparagus. I still hate it. The article mentions kale. I hate that too.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:14 AM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
If you look around when you're just taking a ride in the country, you're liable to find plenty of asparagus growing wild on the side of the road. On my last job there were a couple men who knew what roads had some growing and could pick 2-3 pounds in maybe 5-10 minutes. And they liked it raw, eating it just like celery. When they talked about how they like theirs cooked I told them I like mine finely chopped. Just run over it with a lawn mower and keep going! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 AM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
Oh, nooo! Asparagus is probably my favorite vegetable! I love it cooked any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can use artichoke as well the way I posted to prepare the asparagus or brussels sprouts but my favorite way to eat artichoke is mixed with spinach in a dip with a wee bit of red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat.
Are you talking about whole artichokes, or just the hearts? I love whole steamed artichokes dipped in butter, but would love to know a different way to prepare them.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 AM

670 posts, read 760,589 times
Default Asparagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
You're way overcooking it! Fresh asparagus cooked properly is delicious. It should not be yellow-green, mushy, stringy, or woody. I'll agree that canned asparagus is awful....at least, I haven't had canned asparagus since childhood, and my mother always made it like you described. Haven't tried it since.

Nothing better to me than liver and onions...and a side of fresh asparagus would be wonderful! Try some fresh asparagus...steaming it is the best way to cook it. It should be nice and green and just barely fork tender. Mmmmm.

Last edited by MissSoBelle; 05-17-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:30 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post

Nothing better to me than liver and onions...and a side of fresh asparagus would be wonderful!
I like my liver and onions with mashed potato and gravy,,, some mighty fine eating.
Goes something like this.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...psda22991a.jpg

Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I like my liver and onions with mashed potato and gravy,,, some mighty fine eating.
Goes something like this.
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...psda22991a.jpg
ITA...but the mashed potatoes have to be homemade.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,709,900 times
What is there not to like about asparagus!! I never will buy the canned, only the fresh cut and soon in NE the real local good stuff will be sprouting.

I agree with the above poster MissSoBelle that the worst thing one can do is overcook it.

I wash and steam with some sea salt. But the timing is everything, steam a pound for like 4 minutes and done. It should have
a crunch when eating, not like mush..And bring on that liver with onions!! Another great meal!

Where's the old diners anymore??

Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 AM

Default Asparagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
What is there not to like about asparagus!! I never will buy the canned, only the fresh cut and soon in NE the real local good stuff will be sprouting.

I agree with the above poster MissSoBelle that the worst thing one can do is overcook it.

I wash and steam with some sea salt. But the timing is everything, steam a pound for like 4 minutes and done. It should have
a crunch when eating, not like mush..And bring on that liver with onions!! Another great meal!

Where's the old diners anymore??
Agreed! You did a better job than I of describing how fresh asparagus should be prepared and to what point it should be done. I agree...you should have to bite into it...a slight crunch...no mush.

We still have places around here that serve liver and onions...had it yesterday for lunch...awesome!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,709,900 times
Another thing about it...if you happen to overcook or have leftover that becomes a bit mushy, an old Sicilian treat around here
is to toast some white bread, add butter, then spread the asparagus over the toast and add a bit more butter. A real treat.

But agree with all, it's best served al dente..

Happy eats all and have a wonderful day!!

A couple of places around here left that serve the good old liver and onions MissSoBelle but there a fading fast..Glad to hear u enjoyed it yesterday..

Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 AM

19,629 posts, read 13,276,644 times
Asparagus is my new favorite vegetable. Absolutely love it! I even like the stinky pee that comes later, reminds me I am eating healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink