U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 AM

9,159 posts, read 6,347,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
Hard to say if asparagus, or for that matter any food, tastes different to the folks who like those foods than to the folks who don't. I like asparagus a lot, but have to admit that it's the butter dripping off those spears, and the seasoning added to them, that I really like. I like liver too, especially chicken livers, but most folks I know don't. I think lots of folks would agree with you about the worst meal ever being asparagus and liver, LOL. But to me the worst meal ever would be fish poached in milk- I dislike fish and milk makes me want to gag.

Here's an article that addresses likes and dislikes of certain green vegetables- linking the genetic ability of some folks to taste a particular bitter chemical in some of those veggies, which they've associated with dislike of the veggies. That bitter taste seems to be associated more with brussel sprouts, but they mention asparagus and kale as well..

Hating greens and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:41 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
I love it, but I grew up riding my bike up and down our country roads with my dad, checking the different asparagus beds in the ditches. Because I grew up eating it immediately after cutting it, bundles that were cut even the day before, purchased at a farm stand, just won't pass muster. And forget about buying it in a grocery store, or (gross) canned. It's just one of those examples of produce, like sweet corn, where very fresh is so markedly different than anything that's even so much as a day old.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 AM

12,054 posts, read 19,659,322 times
I love fresh asparagus. After washing and then trimming the ends, I toss it in garlic and olive oil and then add salt, peppers, and Penzey's Forward. Bake at 350ish for about 20 minutes and it is delicious.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:22 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
Asparagus is like opera. You either love it or hate it. A food few people are neutral about.

I join the Asparagus lovers.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,585,920 times
Love asparagus! Such a treat.....steamed lightly until crisp tender and drenched in melted butter and a bit of salt....yum!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 AM
gg

16,979 posts, read 17,204,341 times
I grow it and just ate some now. Tender as can be and wonderful in taste. If you had stringy asparagus, you never ate good asparagus. Also, you can peel it a bug on the thick end if it is tough, but my homegrown is never like that. It is PERFECT!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 AM

2,207 posts, read 3,016,867 times
Blanched in boiling water (1-2 minutes), followed by a cold water bath: either wrapped in prosciutto or covered in hollandaise sauce. *Kisses fingers*

If it's mushy, you've cooked it for too long. Also, bend the stalk back and forth, while sliding your fingers towards the end of the stalk. It'll break naturally from the tougher ends.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:46 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,820,914 times
I love E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. about asparagus! And liver too! YUMMY STUFF!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:47 AM

7,596 posts, read 10,406,158 times
Another vote for asparagus!

Old 05-17-2014, 12:01 PM

21,014 posts, read 25,817,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
......... yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus. ........
Because you think asparagus is yellow-green, mushy, and stringy, you have never eaten good asparagus properly prepared.

Asparagus should be snapped right where the tough stalk meets the tender stem. Then cooked until it is barely warmed through. Color should be bright green for the green and a very slightly grayed purple for the purple. It is crisp and tender, never stringy.

If you don't like asparagus, OP, don't eat it. That leaves more for me. I'll eat it steamed, grilled, or, best ever, in a stir fry with pork or chicken and cashews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink