U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:01 PM

13,035 posts, read 7,199,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I lay trimmed asparagus on a cookie sheet lined in foil, drizzle them in oil, shake them around to coat, add salt and pepper, and broil them for about eight minutes. Not too soft or stringy, but the tips should be seared and crispy, and the stalks bright green. Sooo good.

And then in the morning, there will be that moment of "What the--oh yeah. Asparagus."

That does sound good. I personally love it especially grilled on a charcoal grill with chopped garlic, olive oil and some Italian seasoning. I also put it in chicken stir fry. Getting my husband to eat anything green was a challenge but he likes grilled asparagus and now roasted Brussels sprouts as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 12:05 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times
I am an asparagus lover.....its like having springtime served on a plate....(not canned or frozen).

Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM

11,076 posts, read 7,182,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
I have to admit, I too never liked sparrow grass, that is, until I tried it only just blanched.

Your description does sound like you've only had the veg that is long past its best, and cooked wrongly.

You could just like it, because it's said to be good for you.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:25 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,522,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Blanched in boiling water (1-2 minutes), followed by a cold water bath: either wrapped in prosciutto or covered in hollandaise sauce. *Kisses fingers*

If it's mushy, you've cooked it for too long. Also, bend the stalk back and forth, while sliding your fingers towards the end of the stalk. It'll break naturally from the tougher ends.
I too plunge it into boiling water. It stays bright green that way. I take it out while it's still tender-crisp and then do whatever with it....stir fry, or just lightly drizzled with balsamic vinegar. LOVE it!

Oh, and I love white asparagus, but it's too spendy.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
I love asparagus.

It reminds me of spring.

It has a delicate taste, easy to overcook, but if you get it Just So it is delightful.

But then, I am a vege holic.

As opposed to a vegetarian - I eat meat but it only makes up about a quarter of the plate, the rest is vegetables or salad.

I grew up with a dad who gardened and most things we ate were home grown.

Myself and my daughter both LOVE brussel sprouts. That is genetic. My son and his father hate them.

Also, your tastes change over time. What used to be revolting suddenly becomes tasty.

I hated the following as a child

tomatoes
bacon
fizzy drink

now I enjoy them.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:48 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Probably some can taste that odd taste and others can't. Genetics I guess.
We like what we like, and don't like what we don't. No need to explain or apologize for it.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:20 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,208,900 times
I love it, from the texture to the flavour. I should have it more often.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:26 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,482,545 times
yummm

wrap it in bacon and broil it, all that bitterness turns to sweetness with the added bonus on bacon !

Old 05-17-2014, 05:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
yummm

wrap it in bacon and broil it, all that bitterness turns to sweetness with the added bonus on bacon !
Yum.

I can't taste bitterness in asparagus.

I can taste the bitterness in brussels sprouts but I like it.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:39 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,827,947 times
Quote:
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.
"yellow-green"? Can't say I have a problem with the color of a particular foods. Seems a rather ridiculous reason not to eat food. "mushy"? That's not an inherent characteristic of asparagus. Nor is "stringy".

Quote:
Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
It's called 'taste'. Seriously, how can the very basic fact that different people have different preferences baffle someone? That is what baffles me.

I like (among a great many other things), asparagus and Vivaldi and the color red and martinis and Coen brothers films. I have no expectations of any particular person necessarily sharing these tastes, because that's what tastes are - subjective preferences.

Someone else might like liver and big band music and scotch. I don't, but the notion that others have other tastes doesn't mystify me in the slightest. Frankly, I think the world would be a terribly mundane and lamentable place if my tastes were universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink