Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 PM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times

Advertisements

I find that slender asparagus tastes a bit bitter but the fat stalks taste sweet. I prefer the latter, usually steamed just to the point of being tender. Grilled is good on occasion but it isn't as tender or sweet to me as steamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 06:30 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It's a beautiful plant. I once bought a house on a few acres and there was a large asparagus patch already there.

I don't like it cooked, but I would stand in the patch, snap it, and eat it raw. Delicious!
I think I remember my brother, who grows a lot of his own veggies, telling me that asparagus was a perennial. You plant it once, it comes up every year. I remember thinking, in that case, one had better like asparagus a lot, or have lots of friends who like it because once you plant it, it's part of your life!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
I don't really care for asparagus. I'll eat it. I don't get any bitter taste from it, but it does nothing for me except fill the role of a vegetable.

I'll take collard greens any day.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I don't really care for asparagus. I'll eat it. I don't get any bitter taste from it, but it does nothing for me except fill the role of a vegetable.

I'll take collard greens any day.
I never had collard greens.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
I cook the bejesus out of it and slather on the Hollendaise. Love the stuff. But most people don't cook it enough. I like mine to be "Green Giant in the Can" consistency.

20yrisnBranson

Old 05-17-2014, 06:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
I like canned asparagus better than fresh, it has the right mushy texture and flavor.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I never had collard greens.
I'll go back on topic after this...First time I had collard greens was in an Ethiopian restaurant in Portland. They were really spicy, heavy on red peppers, and so delicious. They were an instant favorite. Since then I've made them similar to the Ethiopian dish, and in a soup like Portuguese "caldo verde" with the greens shredded finely and cooked with garlicky sausage and potatoes. Yummmmm.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can use artichoke as well the way I posted to prepare the asparagus or brussels sprouts but my favorite way to eat artichoke is mixed with spinach in a dip with a wee bit of red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat.
Wow! You covered all the "kids least favorite" veggies in one sentence! Love them all!!

At the chow hall in Kuwait there were lines for Waffle night, lines for Mongolian BBQ night, lines for Steak and Shrimp night. There were never lines for Brussels sprouts! We weren't supposed to ask for extra but they always had plenty of those to pile on my plate. yum!

I love asparagus but you know? They make your tinkle smell funny. That may be TMI but if you don't know that fact and eat them, it's something that can alarm you!

Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, I HATED asparagus when I was a kid ... the only kind we ever had was canned, and it was slimy and gross.

As an adult I finally tried fresh asparagus (steamed with a bit of butter) and it was delicious!

Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Yellow-green, mushy and stringy sounds like spoiled/rotten asparagus. Like asking someone how come blue-green milk tastes so bad. Fresh asparagus tastes green. Steam it with a bit of butter and salt at the end and I think it is pretty great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink