U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,499,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
Asparagus can taste decent if it's cooked right but the thing that makes me not want to eat it is the awful smell of "asparagus pee". Most people get stinky pee after eating asparagus. If I didn't, I might like it better... but as it stands right now, I won't eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 AM

670 posts, read 762,477 times
Default Asparagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
What is there to like about asparagus?

Red Potato and Asparagus Salad

SOURCE
Not to sound like Mr. Food, but...ooh, this sounds so good! Going to have to try this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM

642 posts, read 910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I never liked Brussels sprouts. Until I had some that were cooked right, and they were so good!
In general, I'm not a fan of brussel sprouts but I had them once where they had been sliced and slightly caramelized and they were delicious!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:58 PM

14,942 posts, read 26,665,395 times
Mod note: Please keep on topic of what is there to like about asparagus. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:08 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,534,058 times
Just remembered I have not had Creamed Asparagus on toast for a very long time. And none on hand to make if for supper.

I can dream

Share with me Asparagus lovers

SOURCE

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-18-2014, 04:17 PM

2,244 posts, read 2,320,550 times
I don´t like Green Asparagus but I love the White ones. Big Business here. They are in season and you can get them from roadside stands everywhere and in most restauraunts. They usualy have a peeling machine at the stands so I mostly buy peeled, I don´t like peeling Asparagus.

Where I live is on the Badische Spargelstrasse- or Badisch Asparagus Route

Old 05-18-2014, 05:03 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think I remember my brother, who grows a lot of his own veggies, telling me that asparagus was a perennial. You plant it once, it comes up every year. I remember thinking, in that case, one had better like asparagus a lot, or have lots of friends who like it because once you plant it, it's part of your life!
It's a perennial but takes some time for the good stuff to get going. Like a some years..I only know as my best friends grandfather grew the stuff for like 40 years..

Old 05-18-2014, 05:26 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,401,830 times
I love Asparagus cooked in butter.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,470,890 times
Fresh, young asparagus (no woody stalks), olive oil, salt, pepper, couple drops balsamic, grill to slight char appears = wonderfulness. Hot or cold.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,454,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There's the answer. Thanks. We all have different taste receptors and some of us taste the bitterness a lot more than others.

Asparagus always grew around the edge of my grandfather's garden, my dad's garden, and later I lived in Asparagus Valley, as it was called. So I've had my share of nice fresh perfectly cooked asparagus. I still hate it. The article mentions kale. I hate that too.
Since so many asparagus lovers chimed in, I wanted to let you know that I've been nodding my head in agreement at your posts in this thread. I hate asparagus and intensely dislike kale. (I do make the latter because DH likes it and it's sooo healthy, but none for me thank you.) Interestingly, I love brussel sprouts and DH hates them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink