U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't everyone love pineapple? Why doesn't everyone hate brussels sprouts? Why don't more people hate the color chartreuse? Why do so many people hate chopped liver?

I like asparagus. I don't ever wonder why everyone doesn't also like it. I realize that the cumulitive taste for different foods are as unique as the people who taste them.

What is there to like about asparagus? Well hm. It's a plant. It can be served with soy sauce and garlic. It has a fun crunch to it. It tastes good. It looks like a palm tree with the leaves cut off. If you're one of the odd ducks in the world, you'll notice that your pee smells funny after you've eaten some. That's kinda cool too, especially since not everyone can smell it. You can have play-sword-fights with your sister with one, when mom's back in the kitchen putting the salad plates in the dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,113,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My mouth is watering listening to the other posts.

Asparagus, for me, is very similar in flavor to artichokes, which I also love.

They are related. Both thistle family vegetables.

I like both of them. I prefer young, slender asparagus, and the tips over the stalk. But I'll gladly eay the whole thing.

I'm a fan of other "bitter" greens, including rocket, and dandelion. Bitter Spring greens are naturally good detoxifies, and they can aid in cleansing and supporting and overly taxed liver.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 PM

2,800 posts, read 2,516,757 times
Fresh is best, canned is barely palatable (mushy). My favorite 'like' about asparagus is tender stalks about 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch in diameter diced into about 1 inch length and steamed with lemon slices and drizzled with ginger and a little hint of nutmeg. The steamed asparagus helps the ginger stick and the lemon gives a nice citrus counter balance to the 'green essence. It should be for only a few minutes. The microwave works well for this, and I eat it after it cools slightly.

The real skinny stalks (less than 1/4 inch diameter) do not work well prepared this way and are best sautéed in olive oil and balsamic with a bit of lemon and butter. The thicker stalks also work well roasted hot or cold (anti-pasta salad style) with roasted peppers on water crackers. Yum

Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,520,840 times
Only time I been disappointed in asparagus is a jar of "Pickled Asparagus" I bought about a year ago. The jar is still in the Fridge with just one stalk gone. (Thjrown away after a taste)

Trash pick-up is Wed. I'm going to go toss the jar now, while I am thinking of it. (I paid like $10 for that quart jar) I was hoping I would develop a taste for it. But by now it is more like a science fair experiment gone wrong.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 AM

2,243 posts, read 2,317,686 times
I never remember seeing white or violet Aparagus (Grown in a sand bank ,never sees sunlight) in the USA but here it is the most eaten. I learened to love the stuff here but I don´t eat green. Is white/violet Asparagus available in the US?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,520,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I never remember seeing white or violet Aparagus (Grown in a sand bank ,never sees sunlight) in the USA but here it is the most eaten. I learened to love the stuff here but I don´t eat green. Is white/violet Asparagus available in the US?
Yes, but costs quite a bit more. the labor required in producing it raises the proce.

White Asparagus is Green Asparagus grown under sand to keep sunlight from reaching it. Violet is purple Asparagus grown the same way,

Most Americans do not see enough differences between them and asparagus grown in the open to be worth the difference in price.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 AM

33,600 posts, read 51,826,099 times
Yum... yum... yum... asparagus!!! Can't type, because I am drooling
Love steamed or grilled white asparagus!! It gets never mushy when I am cooking

Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times
Once in awhile we can get the white or violet asparagus on sale for the same price as the green. That's when my sister gets a bunch of the white and I go over for lunch and she cooks those bad boys up with tamari and garlic. I can do it too but she's perfected the technique!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 AM

5,489 posts, read 5,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.
You probably ate it overcooked.

which is why it probably tasted bad to you.

I've had grilled asparagus in a restaurant and it tasted great. some of them add balsamic vinegar which totally destroyed it. so ask for it without anything on it except butter. (real butter, not that fake margarine).

Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 AM

2,243 posts, read 2,317,686 times
I cuss you cuss we all cuss for Asparagus!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink