U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 PM

18,050 posts, read 17,191,107 times

Advertisements

Driving along today I saw a roadside stand with a sign: fresh asparagus.

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,152,693 times
Wow - I love the stuff. I like it grilled and drizzled with my ancient, sweet, syrupy balsamic vinegar (it was a b'day gift).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,362,265 times
I love asparagus....roasted and drizzled with olive oil and then a touch of lemon juice squeezed just before serving. Yum!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

If there is one thing I will never eat it's yellow-green, mushy, stringy awful tasting asparagus.

Then I thought: the worst meal ever would be asparagus and liver. I would starve to death.

How can anyone like asparagus? Why does it taste so bad to some of us (even when picked at the right stage and cooked properly) and it taste good to others. What is the good taste like? Baffled.

Good asparagus is rare and I myself don't care for it much but my husband loves it so I fix it for him and I will have a wee bit of it.

What I do is take cold bacon or prosciutto and fry it with white or yellow onion sliced very thin then I add the steamed asparagus or brussels sprouts to the pan with bacon and onion and cook it until it is warmed through. After that I turn off the heat, put a lid on it and let it rest for a bit to absorb the flavor of the bacon and onion.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 PM

14,000 posts, read 10,147,230 times
My mouth is watering listening to the other posts.

Asparagus, for me, is very similar in flavor to artichokes, which I also love.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:50 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My mouth is watering listening to the other posts.

Asparagus, for me, is very similar in flavor to artichokes, which I also love.

You can use artichoke as well the way I posted to prepare the asparagus or brussels sprouts but my favorite way to eat artichoke is mixed with spinach in a dip with a wee bit of red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:59 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,012,832 times
I lay trimmed asparagus on a cookie sheet lined in foil, drizzle them in oil, shake them around to coat, add salt and pepper, and broil them for about eight minutes. Not too soft or stringy, but the tips should be seared and crispy, and the stalks bright green. Sooo good.

And then in the morning, there will be that moment of "What the--oh yeah. Asparagus."

Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 AM

351 posts, read 436,026 times
Default I used to feel the same way as you until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The part of your statement that I put in bold describes the canned asparagus my mother used to serve me when I was young. Then for some reason fresh asparagus became available in Hawaii when I was a teenager, and boy what a difference!

From then on, I loved asparagus! Quickly sauteed in olive oil with garlic salt and pepper or cooked in a stir fry with some kind of protein, it's just delicious. Try it.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:11 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,152,693 times
Oh no, I even like the canned stuff .

Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 AM

114,041 posts, read 52,415,075 times
Same here! I like asparagus anyway I can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink