U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Are You a Liver Lover?
I'm under 45, and I hate liver. 23 16.31%
I'm under 45 and can take it or leave liver. 11 7.80%
I'm under 45, and I'm a liver lover. 12 8.51%
I'm over 45, and I hate liver. 39 27.66%
I'm over 45 and can take it or leave liver. 10 7.09%
I'm over 45, and I'm a liver lover. 46 32.62%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 AM

2,200 posts, read 1,446,900 times

Advertisements

Only if its in SCRAPPLE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,134,424 times
45 and over and I grew up in NYC - Brooklyn than long Island. I love chopped liver sandwiches on rye. With a pickle and a cream soda.

For various reasons, I don't eat like that anymore.

Oh, I', over 45.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,422,309 times
I always loved the aroma of it cooking, as a child, but couldn't bear the texture. When it was served, I was exempt - my mother was kind enough to make something else. SOmetimes I ate the mashed potatoes with the liver gravy though.

When I was 28 and pregnant, I craved liver and started to eat it. The texture problem I eliminated by slicing it up more thinly than my mother ever did. From that point on, it's now a great favourite of mine!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:08 PM

668 posts, read 460,271 times
I'm 40. I'm a foodie. I'm a former chef/cook in restaurants. I always have lived by the idea of giving things a try, and even if you have tried them in the past, you might like them now if you didn't before. I love many forms of offal, including hearts, gizzards, tripe, one of my favorite things in Mexican cooking is lengua (tongue) ...

I say all of that to say that I am not afraid of foods that scare others off, and I have a pretty good palette myself. Despite that, one thing that I find universally disgusting ... in fact almost the only food I can think of that I truly hate ... is liver. Beef, chicken, duck ... liver is absolutely horrible to me. I have yet to try it and not want to spit it out, I just can not enjoy it at all.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:06 PM

491 posts, read 226,009 times
I thought I'd post 2 of my "favorite" liver recipes!

I adapted this recipe from my 1976 Campbell Soup Cookbook. You can use either beef liver, or pork liver. Prep time includes, cooking the bacon, coating the liver with flour, and cooking it ahead of time before simmering it in the soup and chili sauce (or ketchup).

Chili Liver

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

4-5 slices bacon (l use thin cut sliced bacon)
1 lb. beef liver (or) pork liver, sliced thin
3/4 cup flour
salt, to season liver
pepper, to season liver
1 can (10-1/2oz.) Campbell's French Onion Soup
1/4 cup chili sauce (or) 1/4 cup ketchup

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.

Once cooked, remove bacon from skillet, then place on paper toweling to cool.

Crumble the bacon, and set it aside.

Coat liver with flour, then season it with salt and pepper.

Brown liver in bacon drippings. (You may need to add a little shortening to the skillet to finish browning the liver. I then use Butter Flavored Crisco.)

When done frying the liver, place on a plate and set aside.

Add the soup and chili sauce (or ketchup) to the skillet. Stir the mixture, then add the liver back to the skillet.

Cover the skillet, and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, or until the liver is tender; stir occasionally.

Uncover the skillet, and cook the liver to desired consistency.

Garnish liver with the crumbled bacon, and serve.

Yields: 4 servings

This is a delicious way to eat beef or pork liver, along with bacon and onions. Cook more bacon, liver, and onions if serving to more people. If you do, just be sure to simmer everything (covered) for exactly 15 minutes. Prep time also includes cooking the bacon, the onions, and the liver, before simmering it in the skillet for 15 minutes.

Beef or Pork Liver, with Bacon and Onions (For 2)

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

6 slices bacon (use thin sliced bacon) 3 large onions, sliced thin
salt & pepper, to season the onions and liver
1/2 lb. beef or pork liver, sliced thin
1/2 cup flour
Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening

In a 12-inch skillet, cook the bacon slices. (This should take about 20 minutes.)
Remove bacon slices from skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off the bacon grease.

To the bacon grease in skillet, add the sliced onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook onion slices over medium to medium-high heat, for about 15 minutes; stirring often.

Remove onions from the skillet, and set aside, but DO NOT drain off any of the bacon grease. To the skillet, add a couple tablespoons of the Buttered Flavored Crisco.

In a shallow bowl, add the flour; sprinkle in some of the salt and pepper. Lightly dust liver in the flour, add to the skillet, and cook liver over medium heat; till lightly browned on both sides. This doesn't take very long, so watch and turn liver quickly, so it doesn't burn in skillet. Remove cooked liver from the skillet, and set aside on a plate.

Add the sliced onions back to the skillet. Place liver on top of the cooked onions, then top the liver with the bacon slices. Cover skillet with a lid; cook the liver, bacon and onions over low heat (a low simmer) for exactly 15 minutes.

Turn off heat; remove the liver, bacon, and onions, and place on a serving platter or plate to serve.

Yields: 2 servings

Note: You may think the 3 large onions is a bit too much for this recipe, but it's not. The onions do cook down quite a bit.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 PM

978 posts, read 783,809 times
In my early childhood (late '40s), one of my favorites was Liver Soup. I remember my mom would buy it for me long after I was completely off other baby foods. Can't remember whether it was Gerber (1940 Gerber's Liver Soup Baby Food Ad!) or Beechnut (https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2909187&hl=en). After all, I couldn't read at the time!

In the '50s, mom occasionally fixed liver and onions for my dad, but I didn't like it all. Fast forward to the '70s. I discovered fried chicken livers at Kentucky Fried Chicken when we moved to West Virginia. OMG! Scrumptious!! But oh, so bad for me, so I didn't eat them very often. When we left WV and returned to the east coast, I discovered fried chicken livers were a regional KFC delicacy and nobody around here had heard of them. Probably just as well.

Largely because business dinners exposed us to finer dining, we began to get more adventurous. Now we'll eat foie gras with gusto, just not very often. We actually received some as a gift, and cooked it ourselves. It was wonderful!

But calves' liver? Probably never again.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:24 PM

34,575 posts, read 42,741,316 times
If I made it, you would like it!

Old 08-04-2015, 04:28 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
I'm 40. I'm a foodie. I'm a former chef/cook in restaurants. I always have lived by the idea of giving things a try, and even if you have tried them in the past, you might like them now if you didn't before. I love many forms of offal, including hearts, gizzards, tripe, one of my favorite things in Mexican cooking is lengua (tongue) ...

I say all of that to say that I am not afraid of foods that scare others off, and I have a pretty good palette myself. Despite that, one thing that I find universally disgusting ... in fact almost the only food I can think of that I truly hate ... is liver. Beef, chicken, duck ... liver is absolutely horrible to me. I have yet to try it and not want to spit it out, I just can not enjoy it at all.
I'm the reverse. I'm not averse to offal, overall, and am pretty open to trying most things. But while I love, love, love, love, love chicken livers, if the odd gizzard gets mixed in (as happens from time to time at places that do both, here) it takes a great deal of control not to spit them out. Abhorrent texture, like chewing on gristle, whereas livers are smooth and delicate.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:08 PM

101 posts, read 352,544 times
I like liver. I like one or two pieces of liver in my Vietnamese soup.

When my mom makes me liver, she buys a pound! She makes the broth out of liver, hearts, gizzards. The works.

No, mom. Don't like liver THAT much, please.

Haha. Ungrateful child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink