U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Are You a Liver Lover?
I'm under 45, and I hate liver. 23 16.31%
I'm under 45 and can take it or leave liver. 11 7.80%
I'm under 45, and I'm a liver lover. 12 8.51%
I'm over 45, and I hate liver. 39 27.66%
I'm over 45 and can take it or leave liver. 10 7.09%
I'm over 45, and I'm a liver lover. 46 32.62%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 11 hours ago)

17,259 posts, read 22,315,938 times

Advertisements

its mostly older folks that buy liver in these parts, along with tripe, soup bones, boudin, creton, tortierre pies
and stew meat

im with naturen, my tastes have fluctuated, thru the years, overall not a big fan,,, the last time i had liver, was eating some raw after field-dressing a deer. a few years ago on a dare.

i use to have customers asking me to grind liver for pate'
what a soppy mess that was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:30 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,279,505 times
Rumaki, Liver Pate and liverwurst

Also fresh killed deer liver soaked over night in half and half then sauteed with bacon and onions the next morning. k:

Man I can't wait till deer season.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-17-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:39 PM

164 posts, read 283,315 times
I can't believe that no one has mentioned duck liver (i.e., foie gras). Absolutely amazing.

As for other types of liver? It never really appealed too much to me, but I do enjoy various types of pate. I have wanted to try fried chicken livers, but haven't had an opportunity to do so.

As far as it being unhealthy...proponents of the paleo diet generally believe that organ meats are definitely quite healthy.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,501,281 times
I'm over 50 and have always loved liver, however it has to be lambs liver not beef. Lambs liver has a finer texture and a better taste.
Cooked with onions and served with mashed potatoes and gravy ... yummm !

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,243,816 times
I tried liver for the first time as part of a mixed grill at a pub restaurant a few miles down the road. The meal in general was divine, one of the best I've eaten in my life. The liver, well, I was pleasantly surprised in general. Wouldn't say I love it, but I don't dislike it, I would eat it again.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,404,643 times
Lambs fry is the only good liver.

Yummmmmmmm.........

How to cook lambs fry and bacon -

soak the liver in salt water
peel off the membrane
slice thinly and toss in seasoned flour
Brown in a hot pan
Place in casserole dish layered with bacon and onions
top with water, salt and pepper
shove it in the oven for an hour - put a jacket potato in too - serve with a green vegetable -

YUMMO. Top comfort food.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:36 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,222,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I tried liver for the first time as part of a mixed grill...
The mixed-grill concept isn't well-known here. I love a mixed-grill with meats, sausages, tomatoes, onions...

Old 05-17-2014, 07:40 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,222,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Lambs fry is the only good liver...
You better be careful ordering that here - you most-likely won't be served the liver . It sounds a lot like lamb fries .

Old 05-17-2014, 07:42 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,589,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
I can't believe that no one has mentioned duck liver (i.e., foie gras). Absolutely amazing.

As for other types of liver? It never really appealed too much to me, but I do enjoy various types of pate. I have wanted to try fried chicken livers, but haven't had an opportunity to do so.

As far as it being unhealthy...proponents of the paleo diet generally believe that organ meats are definitely quite healthy.
Nope. Too cruel.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 PM

9,204 posts, read 6,403,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
73 year old: I really like liver.....fried with onions and bacon, or chicken livers....or chopped chicken liver pate.

When I was a kid my father used to cook the liver...and he had been raised vegetarian....and he was suspicious of meat and tended to over cook it. Liver he really massacred! He'd heat up the black cast iron pan as hot as he could get it....put a little fat in the pan....and then drop that poor unsuspecting liver on the hot pan and cook the bejesus out of it. I can still visualize that liver contracting in the pan. When Dad served it.....it was hard on the outside and dry through and through.

It wasn't until I was grown I found out how delicious liver could be and that cooking shouldn't be like a scene from the exorcist. I like my liver cooked on low heat......so it retains its moist tender lusciousness.

I think liver should only be cooked by people who like it.....other wise it gets ruined.
I'd agree with you. Liver doesn't take long at all to cook, especially thin slices, and I've inadvertently overcooked calf's liver, not meaning to at all, just overestimating the length of time it needed to get done. I like it too, and it's a shame to ruin liver by overcooking it. Eating overcooked liver is a little like trying to eat a leather wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink