U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Are You a Liver Lover?
I'm under 45, and I hate liver. 23 16.31%
I'm under 45 and can take it or leave liver. 11 7.80%
I'm under 45, and I'm a liver lover. 12 8.51%
I'm over 45, and I hate liver. 39 27.66%
I'm over 45 and can take it or leave liver. 10 7.09%
I'm over 45, and I'm a liver lover. 46 32.62%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 PM

15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times

Advertisements

YES.....liver, the original superfood, YUM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:14 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
I'm old enough to have children that are over 45

I don't fit any of the vote categories. When my iron level is very low and I am anemic I get a tremendous craving for liver and it becomes super delicious. No matter how it is fixed.

But when my iron level is somewhere near normal I can't stand it.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-18-2014, 08:37 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Organ meats are HORRIBLE for you and I have not eaten them in many years. I've had my fair share of liver knishes over the years and they do taste good, but I no longer eat them. That's the only way I used to be able to eat liver at all, though.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 PM

750 posts, read 1,262,201 times
I love chicken liver if cooked right. The issue is most people have no idea how to cook them. If cooked poorly they will taste rotten. I grew up in the south so I have had both good and bad. I have even cooked them myself but they are a pain in the neck.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:59 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
Pythonis, good for you! Try it again sometime, but always serve it with onions.
I go back and forth in the liking of liver and onions. Sometimes i'll love liver but not like the onions (they'll feel to slimy). Other times i'll love the onions but cant stand the liver.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 AM

14,982 posts, read 8,543,320 times
I remember my mum cooking liver and onions when I was young and I hated it. Liver just has this gross, gamey, metallic taste I never got used to.

Some things I didn't like much as a kid, like certain vegetables, I grew to like them as I got older, but liver was not one of those. That's why I never tried any other organ meat. I figure they all have some sort of weird gamey taste that sticks to your throat.

As a previous reply touched upon, I don't mind liverwurst though, but I suspect that's because it also contains pork, pork fat, and spices to counter the nasty metallic gamey taste.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:23 AM

7,859 posts, read 6,664,436 times
I used to eat it when I was younger but then I came to understand the offal it is , which liver is an organ which blood is cleaned and pee come out ...Can`t eat it now

Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM

11,051 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Unfortunately, there are secrets to cooking liver. If more people knew how to deal with liver, more people would like it.

First, the function of the liver is to filter the blood. A piece of liver from the meat counter will be full of blood, which gives the liver a chalky, unpleasant flavor. Marinade the liver for at least an hour to remove the blood. I use any old cheap red wine I have around. It's astonishing how much blood will come out of the liver.

Second, liver is very delicate. Far too many people fry it into shoe leather. Treat it like fish, just cook it until it changes color and stop. If you can't cut it with a fork, you cooked it to death.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 AM

34,565 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I go back and forth in the liking of liver and onions. Sometimes i'll love liver but not like the onions (they'll feel to slimy). Other times i'll love the onions but cant stand the liver.
Caramelizing the onions in a bit of bacon fat is a process that takes a long time. If people don't do it correctly, the onions will not be as good. It takes about an hour to caramelize a couple of onions. One of the reasons that I never get it in restaurants is they throw on some steamed onions and call it a day.వ

Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Caramelizing the onions in a bit of bacon fat is a process that takes a long time. If people don't do it correctly, the onions will not be as good. It takes about an hour to caramelize a couple of onions. One of the reasons that I never get it in restaurants is they throw on some steamed onions and call it a day.వ
I love cooking my onions in duck fat. Soooo good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink