U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Are You a Liver Lover?
I'm under 45, and I hate liver. 23 16.31%
I'm under 45 and can take it or leave liver. 11 7.80%
I'm under 45, and I'm a liver lover. 12 8.51%
I'm over 45, and I hate liver. 39 27.66%
I'm over 45 and can take it or leave liver. 10 7.09%
I'm over 45, and I'm a liver lover. 46 32.62%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:45 AM

9,286 posts, read 16,128,557 times

Advertisements

age 54 here and while there is not much I won't eat, I hate, loathe and despise ANY liver from ANY animal.... my mom cooked calve's liver and onions when we were children, and while I LOVED the gravy that she made for it.... the liver itself.... blech!! it has to do with the texture more than anything.....

LOVE chicken gizzards and hearts, though......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:08 PM

4,102 posts, read 3,390,521 times
I agree with many here...I absolutely enjoyed cooking AND eating liver and onions. Back when we were growing up it was a weekly treat for our family. My mom knew exactly and perfectly how to make liver and (a mountain of) onions to go along with it, with mashed potatoes and her special au jus. As much as I did enjoy it (once every couple of months when my children were young) I can't say when the last time it was that I cooked or ate liver and onions.

As Naturen has said..."liver is a major organ responsible for detoxifying the body...domesticated animals that are used for food these days have a much greater toxicity load than say 70 years ago."

So, there are other iron rich foods that I enjoy instead.

Oddly enough though, the last few weeks or so I have been saying to myself that I need to go out to a nice Greek family style restaurant around here and have a taste and see if I still like it at all. Yeah, it's been that long.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
...As Naturen has said..."liver is a major organ responsible for detoxifying the body...domesticated animals that are used for food these days have a much greater toxicity load than say 70 years ago."...
The liver doesn't store the toxins - it processes the toxins. If a cow's liver contains toxins so will the meat from that animal.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,282,375 times
I'm under 45, and while I like some types of liver, I am unsure if I like all types of liver.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,611,706 times
Haven't had liver and onions in a long time, but I like the combination. My favorite chicken piece is the gizzard, not the liver. I also like beef tongue and other organ meat. Can't stand brains, though. Some kidneys are in one piece, while others are in segments. I like both, but don't know which is which. Haven't had either for a long time. I haven't cooked a beef tongue in years. Hate looking at it when it's first done and has to be peeled. I shut my eyes and peel it without looking at it, then cut it into smaller pieces. Salt a slice on crackers. Yum. I need to find one to cook. Tripe is also good, but that was a long time ago, also. Many many years ago after buying a container of frozen "chittlin's," dumping them into a pot to boil, I discovered they must be thoroughly cleaned before cooking. They were quickly dumped and I never tried that again.

My dad wasn't interested in the above type foods, but sometimes mother cooked it for herself and me and prepared other food for my dad and brothers.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:01 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The liver doesn't store the toxins - it processes the toxins. If a cow's liver contains toxins so will the meat from that animal.
Yeah, I know it's a common misperception that toxins are stored in the liver but people who claim they'd never eat liver because of it will happily chow down on that perfectly fat (where toxins do accumulate) marbled steak, consuming far more toxins than would be in the liver.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM

31,990 posts, read 17,268,878 times
I love liver and onions. My mom used to make it and i would eat any portions left over or shunned by siblings.

I am not squeamish about food or texture. When i was very young, my Grandpa would eat raw beef tongue, and i would be right there with him. I also love gizzards, and kidney with gravy has long been a staple amongst my people.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
I think liver is a cultural thing. One of the reasons why most Jewish kosher meat shops and delis offer chopped liver, and why it's popular. I really love chopped liver on pumpernickel which is also the only way I like pumpernickel bread - with chopped liver on it. I also favor the way my mom had us make it (it was a joint project with my sister and me), with boiled egg. It is also the only way I'll eat boiled egg - if it's mixed in with the chopped liver.

I've had liver and onions, didn't really care for it but it wasn't offensive to my taste buds either. Never had liver and bacon but I'd probably just end up eating the bacon.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,170,015 times
I'm in my 30s.. still remember when I first tried liver (had to have been more more than 2-3 at the time).. loved it back then, still love it now!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 AM

670 posts, read 760,916 times
Well, so far it looks like younger people don't eat much liver, and about 50% of the older crowd like it...kind of what I thought the case might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink