U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Are You a Liver Lover?
I'm under 45, and I hate liver. 23 16.31%
I'm under 45 and can take it or leave liver. 11 7.80%
I'm under 45, and I'm a liver lover. 12 8.51%
I'm over 45, and I hate liver. 39 27.66%
I'm over 45 and can take it or leave liver. 10 7.09%
I'm over 45, and I'm a liver lover. 46 32.62%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 PM

7,139 posts, read 5,950,516 times

Advertisements

It's fine, but I don't go out of my way to buy it. I might buy some twice a year. Give some extra blood so shed the excess iron that liver contains. Most middle aged and older males have too much iron in their bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 PM

118,688 posts, read 13,645,262 times
I never liked liver..we used to eat liver with fried onions and browned apples and mashed potatoes. Took me forever to finish my meal.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,524,939 times
I just got back from the kosher deli with some fabulous chopped liver with caramelized onion. Paired with the hot-out-of-the-wood-burning oven sesame bagel I'm eating....heaven.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 AM

670 posts, read 761,271 times
Default Liver & Onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I just got back from the kosher deli with some fabulous chopped liver with caramelized onion. Paired with the hot-out-of-the-wood-burning oven sesame bagel I'm eating....heaven.
Mmmmm...sounds delicious! Now I want some chopped liver.

I've never had liver & onions with bacon....I've always thought it was too much fat, but I really only eat it a few times a year. Guess that wouldn't hurt me.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:12 PM

1,524 posts, read 778,904 times
Fresh thinly sliced pork liver fried in dark soy sauce/ oyster sauce with some finely shredded ginger and some chops of spring onions fry together. Don't overcook or it can go hard, it should be just cooked so it taste tender and juicy. Served with white rice. I'm hungry now...

Last edited by softcrunch; 05-23-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 PM

642 posts, read 909,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think age has anything to do with it. I've never been able to eat it and my sister loves it. We are close to the same age and our different reaction to liver was from day dot. Neither one of us changed out minds about it as we got older.

I keep hearing abut how gorgeous goose liver is so I cooked up fresh goose livers the last time I butchered geese and I nearly puked. That is really foul stuff. My dogs eat all the goose livers. They smell so bad, I can barely stand to cook them.

(Adding this: my sister who loves liver is a very fussy eater. I will eat darn near anything, but can not tolerate the smell or taste of organ meats)
I think much older Americans did grow up eating it more than younger Americans but to see that difference I think you'd have to poll people over about 80 years old.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:29 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,517,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I think much older Americans did grow up eating it more than younger Americans but to see that difference I think you'd have to poll people over about 80 years old.
Not quite in my 80s still have about 6 years to go. but it does seem in the 1940s we did eat a lot of liver. Mainly because it was all many families could afford. Believe me when you are hungry you do develop a taste for it.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-23-2014, 04:52 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I am in my thirties. I like chicken livers (breaded and fried, natch), am fairly anti-beef liver, although my husband says it's just because I've never had HIS liver and onions, and I LOOOOOVE braunschweiger/liverwurst and most pate. I would not say it's a common thing for people in my age bracket to eat, outside of maybe chicken livers, if they grew up, like I did, with a fried chicken place where they were a standard delicacy.

As an anemic, I often have beef liver recommended to me to up my iron levels, but it's my least favorite kind of liver.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,517,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am in my thirties. I like chicken livers (breaded and fried, natch), am fairly anti-beef liver, although my husband says it's just because I've never had HIS liver and onions, and I LOOOOOVE braunschweiger/liverwurst and most pate. I would not say it's a common thing for people in my age bracket to eat, outside of maybe chicken livers, if they grew up, like I did, with a fried chicken place where they were a standard delicacy.

As an anemic, I often have beef liver recommended to me to up my iron levels, but it's my least favorite kind of liver.
Odd being somewhat anemic myself, I find when my iron is low I get a very strong craving for liver, any type. But I usually settle for my iron tablets.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-23-2014, 05:39 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,678,062 times
Under 45 and I love liver, but haven't had it since I was a kid. My mom made it with Worchester sauce and onions and I remember it being delicious.

Also a bit anemic in this household, we supplement the red meat with some Blackstrap Molasses. I put it in my coffee every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink