U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 AM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hunter has a point- i love going to a chinese buffet

i can get 3 rounded plates,, plus, i bring large ziploc bags, and put as much in my sons backpack as possible-you cant do that at a cafeteria (im joking, but i saw a couple ladies load up these large hand bags doing this )

Oh... you're joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,384,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Here in Texas, we had LUBY's
Furrs, Wyatt's, Fresh Express.
We ate there as Kids many times.
used to be a great place to go after church for lunch.
They have slowly disappeared. I went to LUBY's by myself and spent close to 15.00 just recently.
The prices have risen, sadly the quantity and quality have slipped.
I suspect the public's taste has changed and cafeterias have followed the drive-ins
Of yesteryear.
We go to Luby's about once a year. It can get pricy for cafeteria food. You start grabbing everything that looks good and before you know it, 15-20 bucks!

They stopped the pay when you leave. Now they cash you out at the end of the line.

There is a Furrs close to it, but we haven't been.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,749,402 times
To me the food was never that great at any of the cafeterias I dined at. You never know how long the food has been sitting on the steam tables too.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:53 AM

1,107 posts, read 978,239 times
The only cafeteria-style restaurant I recall every eating at when I was a kid was called Bishop's. I only ate there once and it was okay. Usually the older folks in town went there. However, my family preferred the all-you-can buffet called Shakey's where you could get unlimited pizza, chicken, and mojo potatoes, all for one premium price. If all the food I devoured at Shakey's was served and priced cafeteria-style, my total bill would've probably been $30 (even adjusting for inflation) because I ate A LOT at Shakeys. I suspect that many cafeteria-style restaurants were phased out by the buffet concept. However, I can see the former being successful if done right. If the food is good, the patrons will come. I do agree that there's kind of a negative connotation associated with cafeterias because it's reminiscent of high school with the mean old lunch lady.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM

926 posts, read 1,428,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yesterday I ate at a Morrison's Cafeteria (now owned by Piccadilly) and it was the first time I had been in one since I was a kid. I didn't even know the place was still there until I saw it online. The food was really good homestyle cooking, which is perfect for people like me who don't want to cook a whole spread while home alone, plus I like being able to see what I'm getting before paying for it. Surely it's more healthy than fast food since there's a variety of veggies available, and it also seems like cafeterias don't have the risks of contaminated utensils like buffets. So why does it seem like these places have almost disappeared since the 1980's? Is there a general dislike for them?
There's one in my city; I eat at it sometimes 3-5 times a week (I try to cook at home, but when I get lazy I fall into old habits).

Friends hate them; they say the food is bland (it is seasoned kind of lightly to be agreeable to everybody's palate), there is nothing but old people there, the place REMINDS them of old people. I actually hear that a lot. A lot of times the food is plain, simple meals; a lot of younger people like places like Firebirds, Bonefish Grill, PF Changs, somewhere they can get sushi or grilled salmon or something more fancy.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 AM

642 posts, read 909,037 times
I think they have been largely replaced with the "all you can eat" buffet since most people view this as a better bargain.

I haven't eaten at the Piccadilly in many years but I remember the crayfish etouffee was good.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM

69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Yesterday I ate at a Morrison's Cafeteria (now owned by Piccadilly) and it was the first time I had been in one since I was a kid. I didn't even know the place was still there until I saw it online. The food was really good homestyle cooking, which is perfect for people like me who don't want to cook a whole spread while home alone, plus I like being able to see what I'm getting before paying for it. Surely it's more healthy than fast food since there's a variety of veggies available, and it also seems like cafeterias don't have the risks of contaminated utensils like buffets. So why does it seem like these places have almost disappeared since the 1980's? Is there a general dislike for them?
like everything in life, trends change. I am not sure it is all that healthy, it depends on what one decides to get. We still see a few cafeteria type places, I think there are some Furrs for instance, and we had Luby's in Texas. We found them really expensive for what you got..Most of us have decided we do not need to over eat, which we all do in those types of restaurants and what some consider good old fashion cooking others consider yucky!!! Tomorrow we will see the fast food dining places be replaced with something, I don't know what, but this is just the way life goes.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM

7,041 posts, read 8,199,280 times
Is Bishop's still around? I remember those in the Midwest.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM

69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
isn't a cafeteria restaurant completely different than a buffet when it comes to pricing?

buffet= pay one price, take anything you want
cafeteria= you pay a price for each item you select.

Last time I was at a cafeteria restaurant it was in Minneapolis (Hennepin County Hospital)
Price was reasonable an d food was good.
yes, you are right, cafeterias do have a la carte, but they still resemble each other.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:29 PM

13,148 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Many of the veggies are swimming in butter, cream sauces, and other unhealthy additives. I used to work for a weight loss clinic, and one of my clients was a busy professional lady in her mid 20s who came in, complaining about how she couldn't lose weight on our plan. She ate out frequently, which was allowed, and she always ate at Luby's a cafeteria restaurant in our city. I pinpointed the cause of her problem right away. All the veggies she was eating were cooked in butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
isn't a cafeteria restaurant completely different than a buffet when it comes to pricing?

buffet= pay one price, take anything you want
cafeteria= you pay a price for each item you select.
+1. In our city, there is only one cafeteria chain left, and it is the pay for each item you choose format. I believe that is how cafeterias work. My grandmother and I ate at those all the time way back in the day, but in our city now they are practically abandoned because they have become very expensive places to dine. I can't remember the last time I ate at Luby's. Every acquaintance I have spoken who has eaten there in recent years complains of the pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or