U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:33 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,888,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Cafeteria?
Sounds like something in an institution.
There's the answer to the OP's question in a nutshell! But I also like some cafeteria-style places. I agree they are getting harder to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 02:13 PM

30,366 posts, read 31,235,051 times
Colleges/universities and hospitals still have cafeteria style restaurants.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,888,276 times
But those are actual cafeterias -- I am thinking of regular restaurants where you would go to eat without having a relative in ICU. The Automat chain was all cafeteria-style, as was Ponderosa -- do those even still exist? There was a wonderful mom & pop cafeteria-style restaurant on the way to my job but they finally closed down.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:24 PM

44,354 posts, read 35,415,625 times
While many cafeterias still serve great food, its clientele tends to skew older. But with places changing to buffet-style eateries like what Furr's did (They are now called Furr's Fresh Buffet in many areas), lots of folks are eating it up. The long lines tell the story, with families, singles, and just about anyone. And they're doing it with the exact same menu selections as before.

Hmmmmm, perhaps Luby's should take a page from Furr's' playbook.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The Automat chain was all cafeteria-style, as was Ponderosa -- do those even still exist?.
There are still some PondeBullBoxer31, but the one where I had my first job, in New Jersey, isn't there any more.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 PM

86,043 posts, read 3,529,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I love the K&W Cafeteria at Cameron Village in Raleigh, NC. The food there is very good and they are always busy unlike some other cafeterias. I went to a Piccadilly in St Louis a few months ago and thought the food was kind of generic (instant potatoes).

K&W is quite good. I also like Jackson's Cafeteria in Gastonia, NC. Look forward to eating there next week when I visit North Carolina.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:39 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,870,896 times
Morrison's was my first introduction to cafeteria food and I loved it. I never have eaten in a Piccadillys.

Golden Corral (buffet)here in Florida is making a comeback and some are better than others.

KFC here in my area has a small buffet for lunch.

We had a place called Fred's Market and I loved the one here in my town. They have tried to go chain but it seems not to have worked out too well. The food was homecooking, buffet, and I thought the one at our location was very well done. Sadly, it was replaced by their BBQ effort and since bbq is on every street corner, I haven't been. I miss my collards, rutabagas, chicken and dumplings, cornbread, etc, etc, and real mashed potatoes. DH thought it was kind of pricey though.

I am sure there are other places. We have quite a few chinese buffet and some are pretty good.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:32 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,649,655 times
In Houston, not only do we have Luby's but we also have Cleburne Cafeteria, which is excellent and much better IMO. Top notch ingredients, nothing fake or imitation, large portions. Very good food.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 980,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Is Bishop's still around? I remember those in the Midwest.
Bishop's is no longer around. The last one closed in Moline, IL in 2012. There were 38 Bishop's at 1 time.

Last edited by maniac77; 05-18-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
Bishops's was bought out by Furr's a few years ago. Both were in bankruptcy in the past 10-15 years. Furr's still survives.

Furr's has two formats. They have a traditional cafeteria set up where you can order seconds and the like for one price. Consider it an "all you can eat" that is served by the staff. The second format is served buffet style. No matter which one you do to, you can get out of there for about $12 or less.

Luby's has chosen to stay with an ala carte pricing. Having said that, they do have several blue plate specials which make the restaurant very reasonable for seniors and other light eaters.

The characterization of the food as "unhealthy or loaded with butter" is inaccurate based on my recent experience. I would say that the cafeteria format offers you a lot of healthy choices IF YOU CHOOSE them. The portions in the cafeteria are closer to what most dietitians recommend than any other format.

In that I have been driving across country the past twelve months, I have had the opportunity to try most of the chains a couple of times. Furr's has improved, Picadilly's has deteriorated over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or