U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM

7,636 posts, read 10,473,069 times

Advertisements

They've all been replaced by Chinese buffets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,252,446 times
Default I am sorry but there are grits and there are grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I went to a cafeteria on the first trip south my wife and I took.

We stopped at a cafeteria in Alexander City Alabama.

I said "yes" to most of the things and then said......."and I'll have some mashed potatoes"
The older black lady serving up the food nearly died laughing and kept saying.........." mashed potatoes?"........."mashed potatoes ?"

Turned out it was grits.
I tried them and HATE grits.
And I did not start out living in the South land. Grits should be boiled with fresh water and a little salt. Look for the foamy froth rising in the pan. Put a pat of butter in the bottom of a shallow bowl, pour in the grits. Red (ham) gravy, or a sweetener on top and dig in. Gives you instant energy like jet fuel for a half hour. You should be sitting when the rush is over.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM

10,584 posts, read 8,015,139 times
Every Hometown Buffet I have been to in this area, has been jammed. Every time. It's hard to come in and be seated immediately.

True also for the Asian cafeteria-type restaurants.

Maybe they're "not popular" in your area, but they're huge around here.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,232,690 times
I like buffets and cafeterias. I remember Morrisons as well. I don't think there's a Picadilly near me

Old 05-21-2014, 12:56 AM

5,803 posts, read 15,538,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I don't think Golden Corral and Ryan's are cafeterias, are they?
Not like the old style pay-per-item place, they're all you can eat. But you can pick and choose your items.

Just the other day I was reminiscing about the old cafeterias...I thought it was such at treat to eat there! All the yummy desserts at the beginning of the line, jewel-colored jellos, vegetables, meats and breads...a visit to M & M Cafeteria or my favorite, S & W Cafeteria in Chattanooga...I could just taste that canned chocolate pudding!
Last time I ate at a cafeteria was easily 25 years ago. It wound up being quite expensive just to get 1 meat and two vegetables...more than it cost to go to one of the other restaurants in town. Same way with Shoney's - a hamburger steak dinner was about $12, and this was 10 years ago.

There's still a Piccaddilly cafeteria in Huntsville, Alabama.

Last edited by Southlander; 05-21-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 PM

17,762 posts, read 21,932,457 times
- for those unfamiliar.Automat wiki

I blame fast food. Diners disappeared because of FF.

In NYC we had automats. Cafeteria style places where you could see the sandwich. desert or whatever food was inside behind a little glass compartment.

You put a coin in and the little door opened and you got your food.

As I remember, the food was quite good. Added bonus - putting the coin in and opening the door. Kids were so easily entertained back then.

Last edited by sheena12; 05-23-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 03:29 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,949,353 times
Furr's was a special treat growing up, it was even more special if we were allowed to pick out pie or cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or