Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times

Advertisements

Cuz we'd rather gorge ourselves at the all-you-can-eat places. I love cafeteria style when it's done right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,971 times
A big chunk of our population is aging and carrying around trays of food to their tables is not real appealing, when they can go elsewhere and be served at their table.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
I go to cafeteria style places every week. The lunchroom at the 1st Presbyterian, Sree's Curry in a Hurry and Salem's Grill.

Its the best way for both of those operations. Salem's and Sree's have limited ethnic menus, people get to see what they like before they buy. The church has a changing daily menu, they only make a handful of items, and again you can see what it is.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
A big chunk of our population is aging and carrying around trays of food to their tables is not real appealing, when they can go elsewhere and be served at their table.
Actually, the majority of the people I saw in this place were older, a couple of them even needed assistance carrying their trays to their table. I assumed it was the younger generation that didn't like cafeterias. Or maybe home style food appeals to mostly older people?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
There a few in the DC area where you pay by the weight.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
Here in Texas, we had LUBY's
Furrs, Wyatt's, Fresh Express.
We ate there as Kids many times.
used to be a great place to go after church for lunch.
They have slowly disappeared. I went to LUBY's by myself and spent close to 15.00 just recently.
The prices have risen, sadly the quantity and quality have slipped.
I suspect the public's taste has changed and cafeterias have followed the drive-ins
Of yesteryear.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Here in Texas, we had LUBY's
Furrs, Wyatt's, Fresh Express.
We ate there as Kids many times.
used to be a great place to go after church for lunch.
They have slowly disappeared. I went to LUBY's by myself and spent close to 15.00 just recently.
The prices have risen, sadly the quantity and quality have slipped.
I suspect the public's taste has changed and cafeterias have followed the drive-ins
Of yesteryear.

The quality has slipped and since these places have to cater to as many palates as possible, they cater to the lowest common denominator: Bland food. If they added any kind of spice or strong flavor to anything, they'd end up with many people not caring for it and ending up with a lot of waste.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:09 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yesterday I ate at a Morrison's Cafeteria (now owned by Piccadilly) and it was the first time I had been in one since I was a kid. I didn't even know the place was still there until I saw it online. The food was really good homestyle cooking, which is perfect for people like me who don't want to cook a whole spread while home alone, plus I like being able to see what I'm getting before paying for it. Surely it's more healthy than fast food since there's a variety of veggies available, and it also seems like cafeterias don't have the risks of contaminated utensils like buffets. So why does it seem like these places have almost disappeared since the 1980's? Is there a general dislike for them?
50s=Cafeteria

60s-70s= Smorgasbord

80's on = Buffet

Old 05-18-2014, 12:47 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
The quality has slipped and since these places have to cater to as many palates as possible, they cater to the lowest common denominator: Bland food. If they added any kind of spice or strong flavor to anything, they'd end up with many people not caring for it and ending up with a lot of waste.
I think you nailed it:

BLAND tasting food.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Cuz we'd rather gorge ourselves at the all-you-can-eat places. I love cafeteria style when it's done right.
hunter has a point- i love going to a chinese buffet

i can get 3 rounded plates,, plus, i bring large ziploc bags, and put as much in my sons backpack as possible-you cant do that at a cafeteria (im joking, but i saw a couple ladies load up these large hand bags doing this )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink