U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

you mean you start with your potatoes in cold oil? Seems like they would absorb more cause it would take so long to get the oil hot enough to actually fry. Has anybody done that? Might be a good separate thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:16 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,431,063 times
I tried that before but I don't like doing it.. super fatty and they absorb most of it!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I was just telling my teenaged daughter tonight that it's a shame she didn't grow up when her dad and I did, eating those glorious french fries cooked in lard. Does anybody else miss these delectable treats?
Where did they go?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:43 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
you mean you start with your potatoes in cold oil? Seems like they would absorb more cause it would take so long to get the oil hot enough to actually fry. Has anybody done that? Might be a good separate thread.
Yep, that's what they did, and they (of course) actually measured the oil in the potatoes and explained the science behind it. I can't remember the particulars, just look it up on Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen. As I said, I've never tried it.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
mcdonalds fries were way better back in the day.
Actually the chain "five guys" has great fries.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But BDD- what oil do you use for deep fat frying and how many times will you reuse it.
Local Leaf Lard from some pig farmers I know locally.

If I am out of that then I use high-olec canola/sunflower oil which I get at a restaurant supply house.

If just light quick frying I'll filter then reuse maybe once or twice more.

If deep frying for a long period I'll toss it out. Too much breakdown of the oil.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 PM

93 posts, read 71,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Remember, most of the brand-name lard in the grocery stores is hydrogenated. The kind I found in Wal-Mart was.

Kudzu, I've been using peanut oil for frying. Sure is a lot more expensive than canola, though.

Cook's Country uses the double fry technique, but also a "cold oil start" technique....they measure the amount of oil left in the fries and found there was less in them when you start with cold oil. I've never tried it, but I've always wanted to.
Yeah, you don't want to use hydrogenated fats, thats the stuff thats killing people.

I have not done any deep frying in years but I use coconut oil for as my everyday cooking oil and I'd probably try that if I was going to do some deep frying. I'd guess your local bakers or butchers may know of some good sources for lard.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:51 AM

60 posts, read 91,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
"Real" French fries are pommes frites and not much like our fried shoestring potatoes, which the French call frites americaines.
Yes, yes and I am missing Germany now!

Old 08-08-2014, 11:29 AM

5,486 posts, read 5,206,429 times
I think my mom used Crisco. and I do use my potato box shredder to make the best potatos! haven't done French fries, but great for hash browns. maybe i'll do the French fries this weekend, now that you all have inspired me.. I have the old fashioned potato cutter that you stick the potato in and one push down on the lever and it turns your potato into French fries , well then you gotta cook em.. but yeah I gotta use that this weekend!!!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 PM

34,541 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Speaking of fries.....Today on Rachel Ray, she took frozen French fries, mixed in 2 beaten eggs and a cup of sharp white cheddar, and cooked them in an oiled waffle iron until crisp and brown. I'm so trying it. She also poured gravy over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink