U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,362,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
To me, all-you-can-eat is what's wrong with America. People stuff themselves silly and wonder why they're obese.
AMEN! We are the land of overindulgence just because we can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The Seven Habits of Highly Obese People

From a study done by watching high BMI folks at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
I read that and for me breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Lunch is very light, mostly a salad, no dressing, fruit, and nuts with water. Dinner is also light. Last night we celebrated my Birthday which is today. I did have a steak with grilled onions and peppers that I placed on corn tortillas. It came with a side of beans. I drank water with it. Oh and don't forget the cake. I love to have a white cake with fresh strawberries in the middle and on top topped with whipped cream. My favorite cake ever. LOL Still I don't eat like that everyday.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,506,601 times
I try to avoid the American all you can eat places as you sacrifice quality for quantity.. However I could certainly enjoy Carabean all inclusive resort.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,500,688 times
When I lived in Europe, they thought American "all you can eat" was the weirdest thing about the U.S. I don't personally go anywhere that's all you can eat. I assume the food is all about quantity, not quality. And I won't get my "money's worth" because I don't eat 3000 calories in one meal

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
1-2 servings?
3-5 servings?
Eat till you explode then eat again?
I refer to them as "Waddle In". I used to go to a chain of seafood restaurants in the area years ago which had AYCE. About once a month a friend and I use to down lots of crab legs, shrimp, scallops, oysters and pitchers of beer. It was a gastro-orgy to say the least. I was in my 20s and worked contruction and I burned it off easliy. The AYCE joints I have been in in recent years - two - were pretty disgusting to me for their menu alone. One was a diabetes/heart attack factory and the other was a Chinese place with some healthy choices hidden in the piles of fried crap.

AYCE salad bars are wrong when they include non produce items. Some of them look like dessert islands. The dessert islands are from what I have seen, the holy grail of the place.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:01 PM

1,401 posts, read 2,001,273 times
Avoid if below $25.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,133,219 times
Unless it's a buffet at a good restaurant for a special occasion like Mother's Day or Easter, it means I don't eat there.

There is nothing at a place like Golden Coral or Country Buffet that interests me or that I want any of, much less all I can eat of it.

A business associate once treated me to one of those places. I can usually find something on the salad bar anywhere to eat. Here, there idea of salad and mine could not have been more different.
Iceberg lettuce some pale tomatoes and cucumber chunks.

The rest of the stuff was just disgusting - jello "salads", egg "salad", tuna "salad" hard boiled eggs, bacon bits, Chinese noodles, croutons, canned beans with a sickeningly sweet dressing, sweet pickles, and more strange junk.

There was a choice of several greasy gloppy dressings.

The only good and reliable buffet is an Indian lunch buffet. It's more of a place to try different things than it is "all you can eat". In fact I don't think they use that terminology.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:46 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
...AYCE salad bars are wrong when they include non produce items...
And who are you to dictate what is right and wrong? Just as bad as the "obesity epidemic" is the "epidemic" of folks who feel the need to make decisions for others based on some misanthropic stereotype.

I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions when offered an over-abundance of food, and I certainly don't "Waddle in" .

Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,894,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And who are you to dictate what is right and wrong? Just as bad as the "obesity epidemic" is the "epidemic" of folks who feel the need to make decisions for others based on some misanthropic stereotype.

I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions when offered an over-abundance of food, and I certainly don't "Waddle in" .

I sense that you somewhat agree with me and I deduce you don't "Waddle Out" either.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 15,484,564 times
After I finish my plate, I like to spot all the gigantic people in the place. There are always at least half a dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or