U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 AM

351 posts, read 435,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've never tried squid -- not even once -- and you just guaranteed that I never will. You lost me at "de-beaking." THANK YOU!
Both the squid and octopus have a parrot like beak for a mouth that can give a person a painful bite. That's how they break through the tough shells of crabs and the other shellfish they prey on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 AM

13,491 posts, read 11,027,157 times
Pizza and spaghetti; can't seem to ever like the two.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 AM

10,121 posts, read 16,721,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Pizza and spaghetti; can't seem to ever like the two.
Those are two of my food groups!!

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 AM

14,315 posts, read 12,569,286 times
Wine.......just can't stand it.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:46 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Sushi

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,189,455 times
This isn't so much a "food" as it is a "flavor" but...sweet and savory dishes, particularly those with a distinct sweet taste. I don't like sweet food much anyway, but when I eat it, it needs to be dessert or fruit.

I appreciate that many savory dishes need a hint of a sweet ingredient to balance out the flavor profile -- that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about those dishes that have a distinct hit of sweetness (particularly sugary sweetness) throughout. I've tried to like that flavor profile repeatedly, and I just don't. The closest I've come is Thai curries with coconut milk, but they need to be spicy and even then I can usually take it or leave it.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:17 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Eggplant. How can something so beautifully colored (aubergine) be so utterly dull. I no longer keep trying.

I love Brussels sprouts, gently boiled, dressed with butter, salt and pepper. Keep your almost black roasted lumps (tried that and threw them away)

Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Olives. I'm a big fan of most Meditteranean food, but olives are just not one of them. It baffles the Greek/Lebanese folks who run restaurants ("Why you no like olives!?")

I've actually come around to a lot of veggies that I thought I hated. My mom was a big fan of canned vegetables, and it's only as an adult that I've discovered that I do like peas and brussels sprouts and asparagus, just not from a can.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 AM

4,077 posts, read 4,050,157 times
I love this thread! I've always found the topic of tastes/taste buds intriguing....the notion that some people hate the very same foods that others adore.

I happen to LOVE Lima beans.

I WANT to like tomatoes, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, and olives. Especially tomatoes!! They look and smell wonderful, and I love them cooked (ie in chili, salsa, stews), but raw, like in a salad....ugh! God knows I keep trying!

I want to better tolerate apples and grapes (I can eat them but I really don't like them very much).

Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 AM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
This thread is fascinating! Add me to the list of those who hate brussels sprouts and lima beans ... I've tried them a few times as an adult but they literally made me gag so I doubt that I will be trying them again.

I used to hate asparagus, but when I had fresh asparagus as an adult, I realized it can be very tasty. As a kid, we had to eat the slimy stuff out of a can. Yuck!

I like many kinds of soup, but tomato soup makes me gag. For me, it's another one of those bad tastes that have stuck around after childhood. I remember a babysitter feeding it to my sisters and me ... they loved it, but I told her I didn't like it and my mom didn't make me eat it (which was true) ... she refused to give me anything else. (Sadistic!)

I love mushrooms (both fresh and canned) and add them to so many dishes. Also shrimp, pizza, and spaghetti. I like SOME beers (Sam Adams varieties) with SOME foods (beer and pizza = yummy, beer and a hot dog at a Red Sox game = great!!). I have tried to like wine but I finally have to admit, after trying a bunch of different ones, that I just dislike 90% of them (I would take a margarita or daiquiri or even screwdriver over wine ANY day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or