U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 AM

13,997 posts, read 10,136,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
Brussels sprouts...I keep trying because they're super cute (and good for you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've never tried squid -- not even once -- and you just guaranteed that I never will. You lost me at "de-beaking." THANK YOU!
LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've actually come around to a lot of veggies that I thought I hated. My mom was a big fan of canned vegetables, and it's only as an adult that I've discovered that I do like peas and brussels sprouts and asparagus, just not from a can.
Can you believe what they did to spinach?! Yecchhhh! I love fresh (raw?) spinach, or slightly wilted/sautéed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM

13,997 posts, read 10,136,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Why do you keep trying something if you know you don't like it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I tried to eat sushi for many years because it's one of those trendy things that many business lunch attendees wind up going to. After 20 years I can finally say I love it.
That's why. And it only took 20 years.

My big one is seafood. I like some of it, but it's touch-and-go.

By the way, does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with some foods? I like mushrooms, but there's also something about them that I don't like, especially raw. I like them in butter, garlic, maybe a little red wine, etc., but I seem to have to be in the mood to eat them.

The same thing with eggs. Sometimes I get a craving for fried eggs, even barely over-easy. Other times, the thought of the yolk makes me sick.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:17 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,995,107 times
Seafood.. I always try a little bite..
I can actually eat a few of the milder type fishes now..
I tried calamari a few times and the last time a week or so ago it just wasn't that bad

Old 05-22-2014, 12:29 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,424,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I tried calamari a few times and the last time a week or so ago it just wasn't that bad
Calamari is a trick! If I don't like something the first time, I won't try it again to see if I like it THIS TIME! I just take a pass.

But calamari comes in disguises! Sneaky, tricky beast! And I don't know until I take a bite that it's the dreaded calamari. AND I HATE IT EVERY TIME.

Until...

My boyfriend's mother made calamari. You don't say "no" to this Italian mama. You just don't. So I said that I'd TRY it. And guess what? It was delicious. My boyfriend told me that calamari is such an easy food to muck up -- and then you end up with it being rubbery (yes!) or too chewy (yes!) and disgusting (oh, yes!). But his mother made it delicious. Go figure.

However, I won't go trying it again anywhere else. No, sir. I'll have hers and that's it.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 PM

1,524 posts, read 778,631 times
Brown rice, although its healthier than white rice and olives.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
Oil fishes and mollusks. I can tolerated salte & smoked or raw salmon, tuna and anchovies, but that's about it. I want to like sardines and herring, cheap healthy protein, but GAG. I can tolerate scallops and snails with enough butter and garlic, and raw oysters are manageable with lemon & horseradish, but clams and mussels etc are foul no matter what.

I'm like most whitefish, except catfish ewww. Crustaceans are yummy. Cephlapods are ok, but I only eat them well-prepared at restaurants like once a decade.

I keep trying beets and brussels sprouts because they grow so well here, but just can't hack it... the pigs and chickens can have them instead! Same goes for parnsips & turnips, although I can manage them roasted or mashed with potatoes.

After years of trying to like mango, papaya, and guava -- I found out recently I'm actually allergic/intolerant to them. Same with eggplant. So it wasn't just a matter of me thinking they were "icky", they were actually making me physically ill.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM

29 posts, read 39,127 times
Cilantro--had it on a Mexican dish and thought it tasted like soap. Then I had it in a sauce and thought it was delicious!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:39 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,600,981 times
Salmon

Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
Seems like a lot of folks aren't digging the salmon. Seriously, I could eat right out of the river/ocean raw, or smoked and dried... but cooked or canned is just BLECH. I've tried just about every recipe I can find and it really doesn't help temper the overwhelming fishiness -- it's so potent it almost tastes rotten to me. (Don't even get me started on "stinkheads" a local delicacy of fermented salmon heads... I can't even be in the same cabin with those!)

Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Is there something that you've tried -- but have not liked -- that you keep trying, in hopes that one day you'll like it? Maybe you think that if it's prepared *that* way instead of *this* way, maybe you'll have an epiphany and enjoy it?

What's the food and why do you keep trying?

PS. I don't have one. If it's an "acquired taste" and I didn't acquire the taste for it on the first go-round, then that's our one and only date. There are so many foods that I *do* enjoy; I don't need this new food to try and woo me.
Olives. I really want to like olives. I like olive oil, but olives taste nothing like olive oil. They taste like something you forgot about for months in the back of the refrigerator and then found and couldn't identify and then bit into it because maybe you were drunk and not thinking clearly enough to throw it out.

We have Wegman's in my area, which is a nice grocery store that carries everything yet has reasonable prices. They have a Mediterranean bar, which has all different types of olives, as well as babaganoush and different types of hummus and Greek yogurt dip with dill and cucumber and other tasty things. I buy the dips and I really want to get the olives, except that I know they taste like ****.

I have tried over the years to test different olives and see if there is one I can find that doesn't immediately set off my gag reflex and make me spit it out, but I've had no luck. I'm 55. I don't think I'm ever going to learn to like olives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or