U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,344,739 times

Advertisements

I usually tip 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:33 PM

705 posts, read 992,929 times
I treat it similar to if I was getting it to go. Anywhere between $2-$10 depending on how complicatd my order is.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,700 times
I always observe at these types of "pay first restaurants" and I noticed most people dont tip at this type of restaurant, especially when you have to get your own water and they have a pitcher for customers to get water

I notice some places had a tipping jar on the counter and saw a guy ordering a few sandwiches to go and he threw in a few dollars in the tip jar for nothing, he pretty much just threw some extra money away because of that tip jar

I would understand leaving tips at a regular full service restaurant, but tipping everytime you buy something is kind of silly and wasteful, unless you like throwing money away for nothing.

tipping jars at Starbucks is another example of unnecessary tips , they are almost like panhandling jars.

I was waiting in line at a sandwich shop and had at least 4 people come up to me and ask for spare change, everybody wants something for nothing these days.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,034,820 times
If they bring food to the table and bus it afterward (Noodles & Co.), I'll leave a couple bucks. If I pick up my food from a counter and have to sort out my dishes at a trash station (Panera), I don't leave a tip.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:24 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,720,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If they bring food to the table and bus it afterward (Noodles & Co.), I'll leave a couple bucks. If I pick up my food from a counter and have to sort out my dishes at a trash station (Panera), I don't leave a tip.
Same. Coming to my table once to drop off food is not worthy of a tip. I refuse to leave a tip for take-out or when service is provided at a counter.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,700 times
some places give you a cafeteria style tray and you carry your own food to your table and also get your own drink, just like McDonald's

no service at all , like buying hot lunch in a high school cafeteria

places like Panda Express, and some Filipino food stalls

Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 PM

10,424 posts, read 7,513,680 times
If they bus, I tip. If I bus, no.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,907,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I usually leave a small tip on the table ... not a 15-50% tip as I would in a full-service restaurant. But more in the vein of what I'd tip a pizza delivery guy, like 10-15%.

You must have some dynamite waiters to leave 50%. i could get $20 from a $30 tab back in the days and averaged $100 a shift but never 50%.
I take that back....one Sunday the owner's GF and her drunken brothers were going to a Skins game and stopped off for lunch. They drank about $50 worth of liquor and I got a $75 tip from them. It only happened once.
20% is tops for me as none can pull it off as I learned to do it.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,907,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I always observe at these types of "pay first restaurants" and I noticed most people dont tip at this type of restaurant, especially when you have to get your own water and they have a pitcher for customers to get water

I notice some places had a tipping jar on the counter and saw a guy ordering a few sandwiches to go and he threw in a few dollars in the tip jar for nothing, he pretty much just threw some extra money away because of that tip jar

I would understand leaving tips at a regular full service restaurant, but tipping everytime you buy something is kind of silly and wasteful, unless you like throwing money away for nothing.

tipping jars at Starbucks is another example of unnecessary tips , they are almost like panhandling jars.

I was waiting in line at a sandwich shop and had at least 4 people come up to me and ask for spare change, everybody wants something for nothing these days.

Subway, 5 Guys and a slew of joints do this. Once in a while if I have a few coins for change.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 AM

770 posts, read 741,074 times
I treat servers like I would like to be treated if I had their job which I am glad I don't. They depend a lot on tips because of the low hourly wages a lot of restaurants pay is below minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or