U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 PM
 
Location: East Terrell Hills
1,158 posts, read 1,321,031 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

I keep away from it. I had my fill of ramen when I was a starving college student 20+ years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: USA
6,171 posts, read 4,956,679 times
Reputation: 10548
I like Ramen, but due to high blood pressure I can't go near it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago - Logan Square
3,396 posts, read 5,976,343 times
Reputation: 3710
It's really easy to make decent ramen, you just have to throw out the flavor packet that comes with it. Instead of the flavor packet just use a Tbs of instant Dashi, 2 Tbs of soy sauce, and maybe a splash Mirin if you have it around. After that throw in whatever leftovers you have around. I make one yesterday with leftover pork loin, some shredded carrot, red chili flakes, and dried mushroom. It was great - and nothing like the flavor packets they include with the noodles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,673 posts, read 1,844,929 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I like Ramen, but due to high blood pressure I can't go near it anymore.
If you're talking about ramen "brick" packs, such as Maruchan and Nissan, most of the sodium comes from the included seasoning packets. The actual noodles contain about 200 mgs of sodium. You can substitute your own salt-free flavorings for a healthier meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 AM
 
Location: USA
2,435 posts, read 1,799,422 times
Reputation: 3833
I try to refuse eating it at all costs. I rather go hungry lol. When I didn't have any income for awhile, ramen is what I ate. I know they're a popular food item in a nearby prison where I live. I liked the chili flavored. Hadn't bought any in a long time and don't plan to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,340,380 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
It's really easy to make decent ramen, you just have to throw out the flavor packet that comes with it. Instead of the flavor packet just use a Tbs of instant Dashi, 2 Tbs of soy sauce, and maybe a splash Mirin if you have it around. After that throw in whatever leftovers you have around. I make one yesterday with leftover pork loin, some shredded carrot, red chili flakes, and dried mushroom. It was great - and nothing like the flavor packets they include with the noodles.
I too doctor my noodles. It is great with fresh vegetables and herbs. Soy sauce and ginger are a great replacement for the 'Oriental' flavor pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 PM
 
6,495 posts, read 2,240,866 times
Reputation: 4381
Default Good Stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Not the kind you buy at the store....it makes me sick to my stomach.

I get Japanese Style Ramen from actual Japanese Restaurants though. It's very good. Tonkotsu is my favorite.
I really love ramen, even the packaged ones, but I try not to eat too much of those. I wish the package ones made me sick, too because at least I wouldn't eat them anymore The ramens made from scratch with fresh ingredients and vegetables are amazingly delicious and healthy for you. I think they do make some package ramens that are health-oriented - they are in the health aisle, usually organic area. When I make the package ones, I usually swap out the seasoning packet for jarred tomato sauce or a sauce I made myself. I throw out the seasoning. Your stomach is high functioning in that it rejects foods that are not good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 3,362,943 times
Reputation: 13946
When I was in my late teens/early 20s I lived on a brand called Indomie International Ramen, "Stir Fry without frying" style. Basically you cooked the noodles, drained them, and mixed in a thick teriyaki-like sauce. I would cut up some carrots, onions, broccoli and cook them with the noodles so it was healthy-ish. Man, I loved that stuff.Then one day the supermarket put the brand on clearance and I never saw it again.

Five years ago when I went through a brief course of chemotherapy, a hot bowl of Top Ramen was one of the only things that tasted good. I don't think I've had it since then.

I'm sure it tastes great and is good for you if you order it at an authentic Japanese restaurant, but in that situation I always go for udon instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,673 posts, read 1,844,929 times
Reputation: 1768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Ok, call me a sucker, but I bought one of these at Target for a semi-whopping $5.99. Yeah, it was totally an impulse buy. I wasn't expecting much, but after using the Rapid Ramen several times, I give it thumbs up. Rapid Ramen microwaved noodles turn out just good as stove-top, and are done in 3.5 minutes. In the past, I've tried microwaving ramen in various containers, but the results weren't satisfactory, so I always went back to stove-top. Not anymore.

lol.. I was at Wally World, and lo & behold, there was a floor display of Rapid Ramens -- $2.50 each. I bought one, and will return my Target purchase (they have a liberal 90 day return policy). So check out your local Walmart if you're interested in a Rapid Ramen at a friendly price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 AM
 
6,495 posts, read 2,240,866 times
Reputation: 4381
Default Udon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
When I was in my late teens/early 20s I lived on a brand called Indomie International Ramen, "Stir Fry without frying" style. Basically you cooked the noodles, drained them, and mixed in a thick teriyaki-like sauce. I would cut up some carrots, onions, broccoli and cook them with the noodles so it was healthy-ish. Man, I loved that stuff.Then one day the supermarket put the brand on clearance and I never saw it again.

Five years ago when I went through a brief course of chemotherapy, a hot bowl of Top Ramen was one of the only things that tasted good. I don't think I've had it since then.

I'm sure it tastes great and is good for you if you order it at an authentic Japanese restaurant, but in that situation I always go for udon instead.
Udon and a good broth on a cold winter's evening = bliss Udon is a more substantial noodle with more "bite" than regular ramen. I usually buy udon (like fresh made pasta) in the refrigerated section and using chicken stock for soup base, add vegetables and whatever I like. I make the soup and then carefully add the udon last (I pre-cooked the udon in a separate pot ), which is so fragile! I have to be really careful not to overcook the udon or wind up with mushy udon. It is not forgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top