U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,184,279 times

Advertisements

I like chicken flavored Maruchen Ramen....I'd mix the cooked noodles (I'd drain the stock) with havarti, microwave until the cheese was melted and voila. Comfort food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,184,279 times
Also there is a delicious ramen restaurant in Seattle called Aloha Ramen. I like the Katsu Tan Tan Ramen. So good!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,547,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Apexgds, you've given me so much great advice that I hope to return the favor. I've not tried these, but they are gluten free - Lotus Rice Ramen Noodles. I wouldn't expect to see them at Grand Asia, but they ARE on Amazon and eligible for Amazon Prime shipping.

Thanks so much! I'll have to look into this. I've thought about going by Grand Asia and seeing if there's any hope of finding gluten free ramen, but just haven't made the trip. I'm not sure I'm ready to try and resist the temptation of the steamed pork buns that I miss so much. LOL!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,961,144 times
When I was growing up, dirt poor, no other food in the house- yep I ate it & I still do if the craving hits me.
But it's loaded w/ sodium & preservatives & also high in calories. I maybe have it twice a year, lol

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM

14,328 posts, read 17,552,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Thanks so much! I'll have to look into this. I've thought about going by Grand Asia and seeing if there's any hope of finding gluten free ramen, but just haven't made the trip. I'm not sure I'm ready to try and resist the temptation of the steamed pork buns that I miss so much. LOL!
The idea of rice noodles being gluten free made me think about other asian noodles, like glass noodles, soba, rice noodles. While I'm not terribly familiar with gluten issues, a quick google search produced this article. Personally, I love glass (aka cellophane bean thread noodles) and rice noodles - more than ramen, and they are cheap! MOST of the ones mentioned in this article are available in Grand Asia/

11 Gluten-Free Asian Noodles | The Kitchn

Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,194,875 times
Don't currently have any in the pantry.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,905,804 times
Too many empty carbs, fat and sodium. Just the noodles are bad as it is carbs and gluten. No bread, pasta, pizza, cookies or cake for the same reasons.

If it is in the interior aisles of the store it's processed; stick to the perimeter. There you will find the produce, dairy and meat cases - real food.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM

229 posts, read 263,160 times
Sure, I just toss the flavour packet, cook them, then add them as the noodles to any stir-fried noodle dish I'm concocting. It changes every time based on what's in the fridge or pantry - chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms, corn, black beans, kale, broccoli, etc - combined with seasonings like soy sauce, marsala sherry, rice wine vinegar, chill rooster sauce, garlic powder, lime juice, and so on. We eat this several times a month, as a 'use up' meal for odds and ends.

You can buy proper noodles in the ethnic aisle or special stores, but they're a lot more expensive and hey, it's not like I'm going for authenticity anyway!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,685,244 times
Sometimes I get a craving for the chili flavored ramen noodles. I OD'd on them a few years ago so now I just eat them from time to time.

I give up trying to post the picture

Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,237,825 times
I do not. I think ramen is the worst kind of noodle and I got really sick of eating it by the time I got out of primary school. For some reason people used to trade packages of them at school for their best snacks. Very valuable currency in the kindermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink