U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,465,743 times

Advertisements

I try the brands I can but just keep top or maruchen on hand. I do love a brand I can't recall which has "assorted clam flavor", great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,598,773 times
We lived on ramen noodles after hurricane Ike. I still love it and eat it when I am not feeling well. It beats Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 PM

11,407 posts, read 13,955,986 times
We eat Top Ramen, Nongshim, or Sapporo Ichiban. We usually don't use the spice packets, but prefer to add soup, veggies and some meat to it. The spice packets are too salty. If we have to use them, I add about 1/4 of it and then discard it.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,341,652 times
I enjoy ultra-cheap ramen more than I care to admit. The same goes for box mac and cheese. My mom is a fantastic cook who always cared deeply about quality food, so we never ate either when I was growing. I think that is why today both seem like treats--it hearkens back to the "special" feeling of visits to grandma's or a friend's house where those processed foods were served.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 PM

557 posts, read 1,030,716 times
I was at a friends house not too long ago for dinner and she made a side dish that had Maruchan Ramen Noodles in it. They were in a peanut sauce with some sliced scallions.

I think she said she boiled the noodles and drained them and tossed the flavor packet away. She lightly sautéed a garlic clove and a bit of onion, then added some low sodium chicken broth and chunky peanut butter to a pan. Tossed the noodles into that and stirred a bit, heated through and she garnished with the sliced scallions and crushed red pepper. The noodles were not soupy as she didn't use much chicken broth. Sometimes she said she adds grilled chicken breast pieces to this concoction and uses it as a main meal.

I know it sounds weird and simple, but I just loved it! Love that taste of peanut sauce!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,472,821 times
No. No I don't. Too many poor times behind me. Thank goodness I don't have to eat it anymore.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 PM

14,382 posts, read 7,478,972 times
I love Ramen, Udon, Chow Mein, and just about any rice or flour noodle dish... unfortunately they are loaded with carbs and I have to watch those now that I'm approaching late middle age.

Tip... most of the ramens flavor packs are loaded with MSG. One trick to a good soup is to cook the noodles and then drain off the starch water, replacing it with fresh water. Then had a liquid soup base with no MSG, maybe some fish oil and a little hirachi or thai oil. Mmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
I was at a friends house not too long ago for dinner and she made a side dish that had Maruchan Ramen Noodles in it. They were in a peanut sauce with some sliced scallions.

I think she said she boiled the noodles and drained them and tossed the flavor packet away. She lightly sautéed a garlic clove and a bit of onion, then added some low sodium chicken broth and chunky peanut butter to a pan. Tossed the noodles into that and stirred a bit, heated through and she garnished with the sliced scallions and crushed red pepper. The noodles were not soupy as she didn't use much chicken broth. Sometimes she said she adds grilled chicken breast pieces to this concoction and uses it as a main meal.

I know it sounds weird and simple, but I just loved it! Love that taste of peanut sauce!
YES! You want to drain off as much of the starch as possible. This leaves a cleaner tasting noodle that will marry with any flavors you add. Basically what your friend made was almost like a Pad Thai.

The flavor packs should be outlawed.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 PM

11 posts, read 5,951 times
Yes, I love it. i like it straight from the package with the flavor packet mixed in, nothing else.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Only when im dirt poor and have a sodium deficiency.
One serving should cure you of the deficiency.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Actually, I love it. Doesn't matter the brand, and I'm not into the whole "gourmet-ing" thing. Love Ramen Noodles, particularly the kind in the styrofoam cup with the dried veggies.

Unfortunately for me, I am living the low carb lifestyle, so no ramen noodles for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink