U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 PM

635 posts, read 661,035 times

Advertisements

After throwing up after eating a pack, I never ate them again. This was like in '99.

When I would eat them, I had a perfect recipe for them (chicken and beef flavored) that would make you think you were eating a gourmet noodle meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,341,608 times
Heck yea, Ramen is good!

Throw some frozen veggies in there and it's a meal.`Brown some hamburger to toss in it and it's the best!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,242,424 times
Instant ramen is very easy to prepare and very delicious for what little effort is put into making it, but usually one package is considered two servings - who eats half a package of instant ramen? Double the serving calories and double the sodium, etc. then it's not such a good thing for your body. Usually, I just take the ramen and cook it without the spice packets, then I add spaghetti sauce and toss in a couple of sliced peppers (red, green, yellow). I ate a lot of this when I was young (the spice packet included, in those years) and I remember a co-worker saying "that stuff will make you glow one day."

In Japan and even in the States, they have ramen, real ramen, cooked in restaurants - the "real ramen" and the packaged ramen have nothing in common except for the name. The soup base is made with real chicken, beef soup and assorted meats, seafood, veggies, are cooked with it. Nothing like the dehydrated vegetables, and weird stuff in the spice packet.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,960,268 times
Not anymore that I have borderline high blood pressure and it skyrockets if i eat a pack. I very occasionally grab one of those boxes of Maruchan Yaikisoba.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,242,424 times
Default Sodium

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Not anymore as I can feel my blood pressure skyrocket.
Yes, that sodium count is insane. Maybe, you can just eat it with a home made tomato sauce sometimes or low-sodium broth and throw that spice packet away, but make sure that the ramen itself is not adding too much to the sodium count.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM

4,923 posts, read 4,228,523 times
I like it crunched up in a cabbage dish I make when grilling. I guess you could do it in the oven too. The dish is a good side for grilled meats. Chop or shred cabbage into 1 inch pieces toss in large bowl with soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, sliced scallions, and crushed up ramen noodles (uncooked). place a large piece of foil on counter, place cabbage mixture in center and fold up and seal edges to make a flat packet. Throw on grill for about 10-12 minutes, turning over once or twice. Open and serve.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,914,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
What's your favorite?
NONE,I can't stand them. Back in the late 70's i had a severely broken leg and operation. I was broke and only had $75.00 per month of food stamps to live on. My brother had taken a job down south and he left me a very large box of all flavors. They sure saved my butt and it made me where i can't stand them.

Although it wasn't nearly as bad as the time i had a lb of bacon, some baloney and Radishes only for about two weeks. I used to love radishes but now i can't stand them.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:03 AM

670 posts, read 762,031 times
Ramen is wonderful. I was using them regularly for making a lo mein type dish. Then I discovered they are already fried and have a high sodium and fat content. No more Ramen for me! Now I use regular lo mein noodles or linguini when I want to make lo mein. Instead of the spice packet, I use 1/2 of a bouillon cube and add my own spices.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,577,578 times
I don't think I have ever eaten Ramen Noodles. To me they look and seem just absolutely gross. I know poor college students love them and think they are all that, but not me. I will get off my pedestal now.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 AM

208 posts, read 489,978 times
I clicked on the topic, expecting it to be about real ramen, but this is apparently about instant ramen. Still, yes and yes.

For real ramen, I adore shio ramen. Love the light-flavored broth that you get in Hokkaido. To me it's so much tastier than the popular tonkatsu variety, which tends to be too rich and drowns out the natural flavor of the ingredients in the dish.

For instant ramen, I'm somewhat addicted to the Maruchan Instant Lunch in Lime Chili Shrimp. Yes, there's lots of salt, but that's why it's so tasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink