U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times

Advertisements

Yuck NOOOOOO.

The kids ate them like there was no tomorrow.

Myself? I prefer food that actually contains a natural molecule or three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,514,756 times
There are tons of recipes out there, good enough to make you forget you're eating ramen.
Here's a few,

Ramen Noodle Recipes - Best Recipes with Ramen Noodles - Delish

Old 05-22-2014, 03:36 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times
What i dont get is if youve got the whole smorgasbord of ingredients to add to your ramen why dont you just make soup? I mean to me its like trying to make something like dirt taste better. Add ingredient after ingredient then it finally dawns on someone that the concoction might taste a lot better without the dirt.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:12 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What i dont get is if youve got the whole smorgasbord of ingredients to add to your ramen why dont you just make soup? I mean to me its like trying to make something like dirt taste better. Add ingredient after ingredient then it finally dawns on someone that the concoction might taste a lot better without the dirt.
Ramen are just noodles; they're a base starch that you can add any number of things to in order to make soup, casseroles, sides, entrees, whatnot -- just like pasta, rice or potatoes. You use them as an ingredient to make something else. Sure, you can eat any one of these plain by itself, but it's pretty boring and not a complete meal.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:45 PM

4,119 posts, read 4,593,903 times
I LOVE Ramen...I'll eat them once in a while...bad for you but so good.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I don't think I have ever eaten Ramen Noodles. To me they look and seem just absolutely gross. I know poor college students love them and think they are all that, but not me. I will get off my pedestal now.
Do you generally think noodles look and seem gross? Because they're just noodles.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
I might have to start if I don't get to selling more cars!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 PM

1,210 posts, read 850,383 times
I avoid the styrofoam cups, unless trapped at work with only hot water and a Clif Bar.

I take the brick, and for PC posturing I try to toss the sodium packet... but Jesus knows I'm lying because most times I use it.
In a separate pan I cook something like fresh mushrooms, ginger, green onions, baby carrots and a fresh jalapeno while the noodles boil in a separate pan. When I'm feeling fancy I'll add a few shrimp or shredded red cabbage but usually I just crack in an egg in for protein. I drain the noodles from their cloudy glucose water and combine with the vegetable & stock, garnish with lime wedge, plate and serve.
If the resulting product is not salty enough, add soy sauce; if not hot enough, add Sriracha (or Sambal Oelek)

It is so *unlike* what most people think of as Ramen they kinda freak out when I make it for them.

In some places (like Little Tokyo downtown), a shop like Daikokuya makes the real deal. It has a depth and complexity of flavor it's pure yummery, like an Iron Chef is making your lunchbox. Like another poster said on a previous page, the word 'ramen' is the only thing they have in common.

??? DAIKOKUYA Ramen

But I love ramen, I aint even asian.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 AM

1,071 posts, read 987,825 times
Yep. Usually make it with cheese, a dash of the spice packet, peppers, eggs, and onions for a quick meal or side dish.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM

11,042 posts, read 11,455,634 times
With half a package of frozen mixed vegetables. If I just want starch I cook up some flavored mashed potatoes. Quick microwave lunches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink