U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Country ham - love it or hate it?
I love it 31 55.36%
I hate it 8 14.29%
It's okay 17 30.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

1,755 posts, read 695,601 times

Advertisements

Iíve eaten salt cured country ham many years ago that was very good. I wouldnít eat it now though due to the tremendous amount of sodium in it.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:20 AM

2,818 posts, read 4,353,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Benton country hams are made about 12 miles from my home. So good the owner's actually been inducted into the James Beard Who's Who for their quality products. They also make the best hot dogs and bacon I've ever had. You can order online and have it shipped to you. It's pricey!

https://bentonscountryhams2.com/about.html

https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2015...e-allan-benton
Their bacon is the best ever! The baconís actually fairly reasonably priced, for the quality. Maybe Iíll splurge on some ham with my next bacon order!

Old Today, 04:23 AM

9,310 posts, read 20,346,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Have you had it? Is it good?

Iím reading an article about a family ham company in KY. They are famous for their aged country hams. Included are instructions on how to remove the mold from the outside of the ham. I am thinking this doesnít sound at all appetizing....eating 3 year old meat after washing the mold off. Apparently, many people buy them, though.
If you need a great ham recipe check out my thread for Ham & Scalloped potatoes. Scroll to the end, I managed to get my recipe back

McCall's Cooking School Binder 2 (1980's)

Old Today, 08:40 AM

875 posts, read 203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Still on breakfast menus here in NC and a popular potluck item is country ham biscuits.
I had it at a breakfast place driving through NC. There was a warning on the menu it was saltier than usual ham - I guess for us ignoramuses driving down from the North as it was near the I95. I found it great with eggs. It reminded me a bit of gammon - which is often served with something fruity or sweet to counter its saltiness. However, I donl' know what I'd do with a whole ham - that'd be way too much saltiness to get through in even a month.

As for being aged - IMO the best tasting meats are aged - the jamons & proscuttio as mentioned, but also things like dry-aged steak. That knocks the socks of even the most tender non-aged steak.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

41,435 posts, read 33,146,988 times
My dad LOVED ordering and then cooking a country ham over the holidays, but my mom or I always made sure we had a honey baked spiral cut ham around too, because my dad was the only person in the family who had a thing for those mold covered, super salty hams. BLECH. I always hated them.

That being said, he had a big cast iron pot - I mean a HUGE one, like a witch would dance around - that he'd fill up with water outside, build a fire under it, and sit there all day the day before Thanksgiving, boiling and poking that ham. Now that he's gone, I love the big pot, but I'm glad we no longer boil a ham in it!

Old Today, 10:10 AM

41,435 posts, read 33,146,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Country ham is not overly salty when prepared correctly. It is necessary to soak it for a period of several days with changes of water to remove the excess salt. The traditional method involves boiling after the soaking, then finally baking. This was a favorite dish in the antebellum South.
My dad never soaked his country hams long enough. Instead, he just sat around boiling that ham all day long - I mean like 10 hours. I never did think that was right but I was so put off by the thing arriving covered in mold that I never tried convincing him to do it the right way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink