Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

A bib?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I think my wife said $6 a pound with the option of having it cooked and having the hard bits cracked at no extra charge....
I'm liking the idea of new potatoes,corn on the cob and coleslaw, and perhaps a bottle of white wine to wash down all the butter that will accompany this feast..

Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM

552 posts, read 1,056,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lobsters on sale this week, so the wife wants lobster for supper tonight and while i can cook lobster i have no idea other than garlic butter as to what to serve with it.
Is there anything traditional?.
Thanks

Maybe shrimp cocktail - melted butter, lemons

A light salad - sliced avocado or asparagus.

Anson Mills Carolina Gold rice - huge difference.
Slow Food USA: Carolina Gold Rice

Conundrum California White Table Wine

Crusty garlic bread

Strawberry shortcake or cheesecake

Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Chowdaaaah! I make a corn chowder with red potatoes and langostines. Lobster would be good too.

Lobster rolls on good French bread.

Seafood lasagna.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
What goes with Lobster?
A large check.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Traditionally it's drawn butter

Quote:
Lobsters on sale this week, so the wife wants lobster for supper tonight and while i can cook lobster i have no idea other than garlic butter as to what to serve with it.
Is there anything traditional?.
Thanks
or clarified butter.
Rice and salad cleans the palette.

And don't overcook it; and you might be able to
make a bisque as well with the rest of the bug.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I think my wife said $6 a pound with the option of having it cooked and having the hard bits cracked at no extra charge....
I'm liking the idea of new potatoes,corn on the cob and coleslaw, and perhaps a bottle of white wine to wash down all the butter that will accompany this feast..

That is what it is here now too. It was $3.99 last summer.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I like baked potatoes with lobster and share some of the clarified or garlic butter with them. Corn on the cob is good too, also dripping in butter.

My fav way to prepare it is broiled & stuffed. Yum!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Hope it is Maine lobster.
Corn on the cob
crusty french bread
tomato and onion salad
Butter and more butter
Go out for ice cream for dessert

Old 05-21-2014, 11:45 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Chowdaaaah! I make a corn chowder with red potatoes and langostines. Lobster would be good too.

Lobster rolls on good French bread.

Seafood lasagna.
Chowdah, hehe!

"Traditional" US would be white bread or rolls, and/or potatoes, in preference to rice. Imo, that is boring past tolerance.

So far as I know, the only regions of the US where something other than butter and white bread would be "traditional" would be Cajun/creole country, and New England. And NE cooking is not known for being adventurous. Maybe MD, but I think they were more into crab.

But there are lots of traditional ways to use lobster elsewhere.

And I never much cared for the butter routine. Even with garlic (love garlic). I would consider a paella, or a jambalaya (remember that cajun/creole?) with rice.

Or by itself, with a saffron or "Spanish" rice.

You could add it to a salad - think something like a salade nicoise (Mediterranean, yum). Lobster instead of tuna. Lots of variation in what folks call a salade nicoise, but you could start with this, and vary it up to fit with your lobster:
Classic Salade Niçoise | David Lebovitz
or Nicoise Salad Recipe | Simply Recipes

Or you could go SE Asian with the salad - go for cabbage cut into a slaw, with peanuts, chiles, and fish sauce. Like this: Spicy Cabbage Salad Recipe (Goi Bap Cai) - Viet World Kitchen

You could do it with bulgher wheat - either plain or along with a "salad" like tabouli (bulghur, mint, parsley, lemon, tomatoes, onions, and perhaps other stuff to vary). Mediterranean again - from the other end of the Med. Like here: Bulgur Salad with Cucumbers, Red Peppers, Chick Peas, Lemon and Dill

A little more work than throwing some corn cobs and potatoes on the back of the grill to roast - but also way more pleasure in the final results!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink